Like Tree7Likes

Cycling in Hong Kong

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Try Snake Trail and the Quarry on Lamma. Best done on a Saturday though- Sunday's get really crowded with walkers.

Hey,

I'm not a very good mountain biker (to say the least) but its pretty good fun and want to mix things up instead of just going to bars and nursing a hangover in the weekends.

Any recommendations for a easy ride? (technically and also not too many climbs!), and where I can hire a bike? I don't want to buy a bike here unless I actually think I'm gonna use it quite a bit... my flat isn't exactly spacious

Thanks

I hear the trails near Tung Chung are less intense.

Also, the bike trail from Shatin to Tai Po is quite flat.

Jeff,

Can you give directions to Snake Trail etc?

cheers

Look at the new HK MTB site: Lamma Island

Basically, ride up to the windmill on Lamma. Just before you get to the windmill (20-30m before) there is a hidden trail that goes right (the small dirt trail, not the concrete steps up to the pavillion). This is Snake Trail.

If you go left at the windmill instead, there is a challenging climb then a steep downhill. Skip this, just do Snake Trail. Link to the Quarry. Then ride to Sok Ku Wan, eat at a seafood restaurant then catch a ferry back to Central.

The Snake Trail DH is relatively new but quite good, I'd suggest skipping it for the first time you ride Lamma- do it another time.

Last edited by jgl; 28-08-2008 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks mate

No worries. I'd like to make it, but I'm pretty much hiking for the next month.

The ride up to the windmill follows the cable roads- a bit steep in places.

BTW, there is usually a seller of cold drinks at the windmill. Basically some guy sitting there with an esky. There will be no more water once you get on the trail and either ride back to the start, or get to Sok Ku Wan. It's not a long ride, but there won't be any shade on Snake.

Hi folks,

My wife and I quite fancy going on a bike ride but we don't really want to travel too far to do so (neither of us are serious riders). We live in Wanchai, so can anyone point me in the right direction? I read in another thread about the Seaview Promenade trail around Deep Water Bay/Repulse Bay, is this good for a couple of novice cyclists to have a nice relaxing cycle around?

Also, neither of us have bikes so we would need to hire some near the trail. We went to Ma On Shan a while back and were able to simply rent a couple of bikes for a couple of hours for very cheap, so something similar would be good.

Thanks for your help!

There are no casual riding opportunities without going much further afield. Besides Ma On Shan/Tai Po, there is Sunny's store in Tung Chung or Friendly bikes in Mui Wo.

As far as I know, there are no rentals on HK Island. Nor is there anywhere safe or pleasant to ride if you want a paved path. The single legal mountain bike trail on the island is the Dragons Back, which is about 50% stairs, so only worthwhile to the most desperate of riders.

Bah. Thanks jgl.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast