Like Tree7Likes

Cycling in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Cycling in Hong Kong

I was about to purchase a mountain bike today but my work colleagues tell me that you are not allowed to take a bike on the MTR.
    I live on Lantau Island, so it seems that I would be restricted to riding there. Not what I had in mind.

Is this restriction real?

dot.zen

from what I understand yes, no bikes on mtr. I know some people have purchased carrying bags for their bikes and that works just fine. But I guess there's nothing wrong with throwing a few bikes in the back of a cab. Also there are some ferries (Mui Wo, DB) that will allow you to take a bike on board so I hear. My bike is finally showing up tomorrow and I'm looking for anyone that might be interested in some trail riding on lantau, as it is all pretty new to me.

Some ferries (as quoted Mui Wo, DB) allow bikes on the ferries - I take my bike at least once a weekend in a taxi - the front wheel is quick release they've never huffed/complained they all seem to have ropes to secure the boot lid and is fine.

jtflies - I did the trail in Mui Wo last week and found it a bit too advanced for me in places, so looking to start from scratch so PM if you fancy getting together for a trail.

dot.zen - don't forget you need a permit (no cost) to ride on the trails - search the forum for the link. Its easy to get.

Nope, no bikes on the MTR.
    However, they are allowed on the ferries. And only the slower ferries, which usually also take other large luggage.
    Also, I think the ferry from TST to Wan Chai only, but not to Central.

Lantau has a lot of riding on it, so if you're stuck anywhere with a bike, that's one of the better places. Note though that a lot of that riding will not be on legal trails.

If you need to get off Lantau, your options really depend on where you live:

The DB ferry takes bikes at no extra cost and is frequent. Living in DB doesn't seem to stop riders coming over to HK on the weekends.

If you live in Mui Wo, the slow ferries allow bikes, but the timing is not the most convenient for linking up to other riding areas. There are several dedicated bikers out in the Pui O area that you could hook up with though.

If you live near Tung Chung, you can catch the airport express by riding up to the airport terminal. You can also arrange a man-with-a-van at a cheaper cost than a taxi ride (and you can share the ride with a bunch of other bikers).

Presumably you already know where to get a bike, but I'll mention a couple of places that may be local to you anyway. Friendly Bike in Mui Wo is very good. There is also a store near Tung Chung run by a friendly guy called Sunny (hard to find). Don't use the store in Wan Chai.

Get in touch with the guy who runs a bike guiding service on Lantau if you want more info: Cross Country Hong Kong

Last edited by jgl; 07-05-2008 at 11:39 PM.

Hi Guys,

I live on HK Island and I'm very keen to get into some mountain bike riding with anyone.
    I'm currently looking for a bike and some other keen people who would like to meet up on a regular basis.
    I don't mind travelling and sharing taxi's, vans or grabbing a ferry.
    I'm going to check out some of the shops mentioned in this thread and any help is appreciated.
    cheers

All PMs welcome

Last edited by Cookie666; 08-05-2008 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks to all for your replies.
    I know that I could be in a worse position than being restricted to riding on Lantau Island.
    I'll check out the local shops and see what they have to offer.
    dot.zen

Checked out DB on the weekend. Tried to get to Mui Wo but it was a 2 hour wait for the little ferry so didn't make it.

Also went to Flying Ball. A lot of good bikes in there!

Cannondale Rize 3 $25K
    Cannondale Rize 4 $19K
    Cannondale Prophet $18.8K

I think I might be ordering the Rize 3, 3-4 week wait.

Great! I went to flying ball the other day and was astonished at the prices of Cannondales. I guess you get what you pay for, but they seemed unreasonably high. I ended up buying a trek from my local shop in Tung Chung. I ordered a 21.5" Trek 6000 from him and got it a week later fresh out of the box. Payed around 5500 for it and its turned out to be a pretty nice hardtail. I've also been hitting up the trails around Tung Chung and Tai O and they are very nice as long as you don't ride on the weekends - too many people walking the trails made for a tricky ride.

Edit: Oh and I went to Mui Wo and check out the Friendly bike shop. Nice people but buyer beware! Some of the bikes they were selling had the good equipement stripped for cheap crap saying that they modified the bike to make it better. So if you buy there, make sure you are getting the derailer, crank, etc you are paying for.

Last edited by jtflies; 12-05-2008 at 12:51 PM.

>> flying ball the other day and was astonished at the prices of Cannondales. I guess you get what you pay for, but they seemed unreasonably high. I ended up buying a trek from my local shop in Tung Chung. I ordered a 21.5" Trek 6000 from him and got it a week later fresh out of the box. Payed around 5500

wish to build a cheap racing road bike that is technically compatible to high end racer, any tips ? where to buy ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast