Like Tree11Likes

any sports recommended for weight loss.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Minor correction: Having looked this up several years ago, swimming is not regarded as an effective sport for losing weight.

Most forms of exercise cause the body's metabolism to boost higher for several hours afterwards. This leads to additional calories being burnt even at rest. The suspected reason that swimming doesn't effectively result in weight loss is that swimming is done in cool water, so this metabolic boost stage never takes place.

Anyway- at the OP: I don't think that pilates is going to do much for burning energy. It's great for some things, but weight loss isn't one of them. Lots of cardio is what you're going to be after, and if you are trying to do it at low cost then that's going to be something simple like running.

I covered this topic not too long ago here on GeoExpat, perhaps you remember it from that? But in any event, you are right. Swimming is a very good exercise overall, but it is NOT the greatest exercise for weight loss.

Think about it, most swimmers aren't nearly as cut and lean as cyclists, distance runners or weight lifters. I know from my own experiences, that I get extremely hungry after a strenuous swimming session.

I bought a "wheel-less" bicycle and cycle at home while watching TV.

I like cycling, so I don't mind doing this.

Any exercise that is strenuous, eg Kickboxing, circuits etc.

As a rule the more muscles use equates to more calories burnt. Reason I say strenuous is because most calories are burnt post exercise.

Weight training is great too as the more lean tissue you have the greater the number of calories used. This is true for exercise and rest.

Finally diet. Exercise plays a part but diet is just as important.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using GeoClicks Mobile

Last edited by Matt_NT; 29-07-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    ...I know from my own experiences, that I get extremely hungry after a strenuous swimming session.
    I get so hungry after exercise (any exercise) I usually end up eating double&triple what I just burned off.

Are there any tips, tricks, pills or potions to try to alleviate the post exercise hunger? I've read a few of the suggestions in various magazines but I just cant control it with will power. I *CAN* control the urge for cold beer but not for eating copious quantities after exercise...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_NT:

Finally diet. Exercise plays a part but diet is just as important.

In terms of weight loss, I would say diet is far more important than exercise...

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I get so hungry after exercise (any exercise) I usually end up eating double&triple what I just burned off.

Are there any tips, tricks, pills or potions to try to alleviate the post exercise hunger? I've read a few of the suggestions in various magazines but I just cant control it with will power. I *CAN* control the urge for cold beer but not for eating copious quantities after exercise...
    Drink lots of water first, rehydrate immediately. Than just make sure you fill up with good calories veggies/lean protein

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:

Quite normal for people. I normally take the beer.

Try high protein snack. In the uk I used to grab beans on toast. Here I'm normally feeling nauseous from the heat / humidity so don't bother.

I covered this topic not too long ago here on GeoExpat, perhaps you remember it from that? But in any event, you are right. Swimming is a very good exercise overall, but it is NOT the greatest exercise for weight loss.

Think about it, most swimmers aren't nearly as cut and lean as cyclists, distance runners or weight lifters. I know from my own experiences, that I get extremely hungry after a strenuous swimming session.
    I tend not to rely on Geo as a source of scientific knowledge I look up research papers for that kind of thing, even if it's just to read the abstracts.

In terms of weight loss, I would say diet is far more important than exercise...
    Initially yes I'd agree but long term exercise and it's role increases. The body adjusts the BMR after prolonged calorie restriction. Exercise helps to tackle this hurdle.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast