Like Tree11Likes

any sports recommended for weight loss.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

any sports recommended for weight loss.

I found out that some VS models does boxing to slim down and some does yoga. I am now currently doing POP Pilates from Blogilates on Youtube. But I want to see what sports has a faster result for weight loss. Thanks!

You need to add cardio into your routine. Running, fast walking, biking, hiking, etc.

I'm assuming you don't want to join a gym if you're doing Pilates off of YouTube. Without going to the gym, there are plenty of exercises you can do using just your body weight. Lookup body weight exercises and plyometrics to start with. Squats, lunges, push-ups, side lunges, triceps dips, crunches, sit ups, plank....

Do you have any idea what kind of sports you enjoy? Might be a good starting point...

eating right is also a huge part of weight loss

Khema and shenwen like this.

Changeyour nutrition

Swimming s good,

Last edited by Morrison; 28-07-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Weight lifting gave me the fastest and most sustainable results I've ever had. I'm just shy of 5'1 and I had 10 additional kilos on my frame. After years of trying cardio, mixed group fitness classes and a bit of boxing, I went hard into weight lifting, utilizing super sets. I still do some cardio but rarely more than 15 minutes (doing interval training...30 seconds very hard, 1-2 minutes relaxed jog).

I lost the 10 kilos and have kept it off for years, as well as gaining significant strength and what womens magazines call 'tone'.

Check out a book called The New Rules of Lifting For Women.

Also, as someone else mentioned, food played a large role. I still enjoy dessert, spaghetti and decadent Hong Kong restaurant offerings, but most of the time I'm eating flax, all kinds of berries, rolled oats, goats milk, green tea, turkey wraps, eggs, baked fish, black wild rice and steamed vegetables - emphasis on clean, unprocessed food, complex carbohydrates, protein and no sugar.

No one method is the right way. You have to find something you enjoy so that you can sustain it.

jonathan.lo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Changeyour nutrition

Swimming s good,
    Minor correction: Having looked this up several years ago, swimming is not regarded as an effective sport for losing weight.

Most forms of exercise cause the body's metabolism to boost higher for several hours afterwards. This leads to additional calories being burnt even at rest. The suspected reason that swimming doesn't effectively result in weight loss is that swimming is done in cool water, so this metabolic boost stage never takes place.

Anyway- at the OP: I don't think that pilates is going to do much for burning energy. It's great for some things, but weight loss isn't one of them. Lots of cardio is what you're going to be after, and if you are trying to do it at low cost then that's going to be something simple like running.

Quote Originally Posted by PencilSkirt:

I lost the 10 kilos and have kept it off for years, as well as gaining significant strength and what womens magazines call 'tone'.
    I agree with your post, but keep in mind that the concept of 'tone' runs counter to locally accepted beauty norms.

Just look at all the incredibly wimpy-looking skinny models on MTR billboards.

I wish it were different. Women would be healthier, and women who lift are hot
    MCDC likes this.

45 mins cardio in the morning and a sensible diet (low GI).

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Most forms of exercise cause the body's metabolism to boost higher for several hours afterwards. This leads to additional calories being burnt even at rest. The suspected reason that swimming doesn't effectively result in weight loss is that swimming is done in cool water, so this metabolic boost stage never takes place.
    Would you care to explain the science behind that statement?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    Would you care to explain the science behind that statement?
    It's an established tenet of physiology, so just Google "resting metabolic rate and exercise" and you should get enough to get started on.

Think about it another way: An hour of fairly hard work on a treadmill doesn't even cover the energy contained a single Mars bar. If your metabolic rate was only raised during exercise, standard short (i.e. less than a couple of hours) cardio activities such as running wouldn't result in people losing weight.
    Last edited by jgl; 29-07-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    PencilSkirt likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast