Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By emx

Boating license

Closed Thread

Boating license

Does anyone know if it's possible to have pleasure boating licenses from abroad to be converted to a local one?

In my case it's a bit different, I'm a professional sailor with more than 15 years of experience (and navigated in HK waters a few times) but I'm hoping to get a license without all the hassle.
    Now I'm not too lazy to take the exams, although they'd be a waste of time in my opinion, but the courses are booked months in advance, and I'm never sure when I'll be home and when I'm at sea.

So I'm hoping I could get a bit of advice here before I send a mail to MarDep.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenTex:
    Does anyone know if it's possible to have pleasure boating licenses from abroad to be converted to a local one?
    No you have to take the local test.

There is an course conducted in English by the Hong Kong Sailing Federation, they have an inhouse exam based on their own text book.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenTex:

In my case it's a bit different, I'm a professional sailor with more than 15 years of experience (and navigated in HK waters a few times) but I'm hoping to get a license without all the hassle.
    Now I'm not too lazy to take the exams, although they'd be a waste of time in my opinion, but the courses are booked months in advance, and I'm never sure when I'll be home and when I'm at sea.

So I'm hoping I could get a bit of advice here before I send a mail to MarDep.

Thank you.
    Yes, it is possible, I know people who have done this. Ask MarDep about your specific license.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:

There is an course conducted in English by the Hong Kong Sailing Federation, they have an inhouse exam based on their own text book.
    If you do need to do the test, buy the book (Ship Shop of RHKYC) read it and do the test with MarDep direct

Quote Originally Posted by MrRotavator:
    Yes, it is possible, I know people who have done this. Ask MarDep about your specific license.
    Contradictory information...

I hope you're right, MrRotavator. It would be silly if they wouldn't do it though, I may sail on any ship of any type anywhere in the world as a navigational officer in charge, but am not allowed to take a tiny boat out in HK?

Will check with mardep. They'll want scans of my Licenses I assume?
    Last edited by ZenTex; 20-08-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The recognition of foreign-issued licences depends on the country of issuance.

They would not transfer my Australian license, so I had to sit the local test.

INXS likes this.

They would not transfer my Australian license, so I had to sit the local test.
    How was the test?