Like Tree27Likes

Elevation profile for Wilson Trail Sec. 1

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Deepwaterbay is not really on the way (its on the side). Repulse bay is possible and there are 4-5 different paths to get down to it, none of them are clean/clear - all of them require various degrees of bushwhacking.

You can see 3 of those paths marked on www.openstreetmap.org
    Thanks a lot :-) Better skipping this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Ok, alternative suggestions for a 2 hour or less HK Island hike that involves some good stair climbing and a good workout?
    Quarry Bay to Parkview.

The "standard meet up Tuesday night / Wednesday night hike". The Wednesday one is slower (when Narelle is around to run it).

Walk up Mt Barker road from Quarry Bay MTR, turn right at the steps just after where the lights stop, up the steps to join with Sir Cecils Ride, turn left along the Ride and keep going until the steps up to the Wilson (I think). Up the steps to the balls, turn left up the hill with the transmission tower on top, join with the HK Trail and turn right down the hill and then up again to Jardines Lookout, then on to Parkview. Takes me 1 hr 50mins (and I'm very slow). Excellent workout - done at night, fabulous views too.

I'm sure it's on Everytrail since it's run every week on Meetup but otherwise I would go with the group once just to get the route down as it's slightly convoluted.
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 11-09-2013 at 11:14 AM.
    Elegiaque and Tom007 like this.

Ok, alternative suggestions for a 2 hour or less HK Island hike that involves some good stair climbing and a good workout?
    http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2192650
    http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=599591
    Tons and tons more possibilities.
    Join up with the hiking group on Meetup and discover many more...
    http://www.meetup.com/hongkonghikingmeetup/
    Tom007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom007:
    You could do Violet Hill and then head down to Repulse Bay.

As for Quarry Bay --> Park View... I've done this in reverse, although I think from a different route. Actually, I've done it at night with one of the meetups, but had NO CLUE where I was or where I was going! (Complete fog and mist!)

Other suggestions? Something with some beautiful scenery -- some place to catch a breath of fresh air and nature?
    Tom007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom007:
    They are not *that* bad. I went down one of them yesterday.

You should not do them by yourself (at least the first time) but most of them are within the capabilities of most regular hikers.
    Tom007 likes this.

By the way, has anyone been up this "other" peak next to Victoria Peak? On the country trails map, it is just a dotted path. You get good views of it -- and it looks very nice -- going up Hatton Rd. from Kennedy Town. What's the trail condition like, especially now?

I would second Min's Mt Parker to Parkview as a good option (it's in my neighbourhood). Very straightforward walking with a good amount of climbing if that is what you are after.

Two variants:

First variant: Up Mt Parker Rd to the saddle between the two big hills. 10 minutes before the saddle there's a clear stretch in the road with a good view across the harbour. At the saddle (where the toilet block is, and the road goes down towards the reservoirs) you can climb up another 400 or so steps and then continue to Parkview which is visible from the top of the steps.

Second variant which is all asphalt road: From the saddle keep climbing left up the road to the two weather stations. Very, very steep. The weather stations have great views across Kowloon- almost rivalling the view from the Peak. Best done at night for the views and a cool breeze.

Hmm... and a third variant is just to go down from the saddle and cross the dams. Most of this downhill is on road though (no traffic) unless you dive off onto generally easy side trails, so maybe not the workout you're looking for. You end up on Tai Tam Rd where there are taxis and bus stops. Probably around 3 hours at a good pace so longer than what you're looking for.

By the way, has anyone been up this "other" peak next to Victoria Peak? On the country trails map, it is just a dotted path. You get good views of it -- and it looks very nice -- going up Hatton Rd. from Kennedy Town. What's the trail condition like, especially now?
    Could that be the Morning Trail? IIRC that's what Hatton turns into after the branch off from Conduit Rd.

It's a wide concrete footpath, quite steep. Moderately well lit at night.. Views aren't fantastic as there is a lot of tree coverage. Not much in the way of a breeze for the same reason.
    Last edited by jgl; 11-09-2013 at 11:32 AM.

I'm assuming you are talking about High West.
    4 common ways to go up there:
    1) a very nice and clear set of stairs.
    2) explosed and not too hard bushwhacking from the west
    3&4) 2 very bushy trails on the north side starting from playground
    You can see all of these on openstreetmap.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    They are not *that* bad. I went down one of them yesterday.

You should not do them by yourself (at least the first time) but most of them are within the capabilities of most regular hikers.
    Thanks a lot. Will study the link and give it a try. Long sleeves and long trousers are necessary I guess. Sorry OP for the interference.
    Elegiaque likes this.