Like Tree6Likes

Stream Trekking Wong Lung Hang (Lantau Island)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

This stream trek is not easy or risk-free even for experienced rescue teams, especially in the rain and/or in the dark. Flash floods kill people out stream trekking most years in HK. In the dark it is doubly risky. There is nothing that really counts as a "trail" anywhere near the stream in question.

The site is only a couple of kilometres from the GFS base, so in the daylight after heavy rain with high risk of flask floods I can see that a helicopter might be preferred. Carrying someone out on foot from some of these places could be pretty tricky, even for trained teams.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 12-09-2013 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks so much for posting that! It's good to get information like this and to know about dangerous areas. Once a young HK fellow was telling me how he was doing a stream trek with his father on Lantau and had to be rescued.... wonder if it was this area.

I'm just curious, it seems like you can do an easy(?) stream trek just to the Three Dragon Gap according to this website: http://hikehongkong.blogspot.hk/2012...ng-stream.html. And then just turn around to head back. Is this "Option 2" that he talks about reasonably easy? How would meetup rank it, for example? It looks beautiful.

Moving, is the meetup Sat. hike a good one for a beginner with stream trekking? My partner loves scrambling and I've just about killed him a few times trying to join him for scrambling (but I've made it up Tryfan twice!)... would like to try stream trekking to give him a chance to enjoy his passion. I find scrambling can be fun -- I like using my hands and climbing over rocks, but I'm just not very good at it and pushing myself up high.

Interesting to read that so many things happen.
    I hike a lot myself. Since I live here I know my water consumption in different seasons and where to replenish or take a bath to cool down.

I think many weekend hikers can not accurately assess their fitness level.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    In my experience with the rescue services, they sent land-based firemen FIRST to assess the situation before sending in the chopper. My guy was unconscious (being cooled in a stream for heat stroke) at the bottom of a steep cliff and the firemen didn't think they could get him out easily, so they called in the chopper. Even then, the chopper could not easily access the spot, and he had to climb up the cliff (with considerable assistance from firemen, after he came round in the stream) before being airlifted out for a night in hospital.

We had about 20 (NOT KIDDING) people attend - so yes - overkill probably! It was all rather exciting though. Rather too exciting since it was my first hike as an Organiser!
    You had a case of heat stroke case and a helicopter rescue on your FIRST hike as an organizer?!

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:

Moving, is the meetup Sat. hike a good one for a beginner with stream trekking? My partner loves scrambling and I've just about killed him a few times trying to join him for scrambling (but I've made it up Tryfan twice!)... would like to try stream trekking to give him a chance to enjoy his passion. I find scrambling can be fun -- I like using my hands and climbing over rocks, but I'm just not very good at it and pushing myself up high.
    Yes! That's the whole point of it. I will send you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    In my experience with the rescue services, they sent land-based firemen FIRST to assess the situation before sending in the chopper. My guy was unconscious (being cooled in a stream for heat stroke) at the bottom of a steep cliff and the firemen didn't think they could get him out easily, so they called in the chopper. Even then, the chopper could not easily access the spot, and he had to climb up the cliff (with considerable assistance from firemen, after he came round in the stream) before being airlifted out for a night in hospital.

We had about 20 (NOT KIDDING) people attend - so yes - overkill probably! It was all rather exciting though. Rather too exciting since it was my first hike as an Organiser!
    You had a case of heat stroke case and a helicopter rescue on your FIRST hike as an organizer?!

Yes. It was in May a few years back. I recc'd the route 5 days previously - lovely day and then ran the hike on the Saturday. Which turned out to be the 1st Day of Summer. (Ie it was MUCH hotter than it had been previously, someone just turned the heat up LOL). This guy turned up to my hike in jeans and town shoes (leather bottoms) and I was a little worried, but didn't want to upset anyone by telling them (once they arrived at Tuen Mun MTR) that they couldn't come. He was really slow up the first hill (500m climb) and was looking really knackered at the top. I told him he really should turn back but he didn't want to. The next bit of the hike was mostly flat - a few undulations along the ridge of the mountains behind the Gold Coast. Unfortunately, the guy's shoes had no grip and he kept falling over (which takes a lot of energy) and so he got more and more tired and hotter and hotter.

However, I have always believed in safety first, so I had an excellent "tail" (aka MrMovingin07) who is very fit, and more important, very smart. He stayed back with the guy and when he collapsed unconcious, dragged him into a stream (phone and all, oops!). Which probably saved his life.

He then rang me, I rang 999 and the rest is covered in the post above.

The fact that I believe in having a tail (or keeping the group small enough to stay together) was a factor in ensuring that this tale has a happy ending. However, if anyone turns up to one of my hikes in the wrong clothes and wrong shoes they get sent packing - even if it's a long way from Central!
    jgl and Elegiaque like this.

I'm just curious, it seems like you can do an easy(?) stream trek just to the Three Dragon Gap according to this website: http://hikehongkong.blogspot.hk/2012...ng-stream.html. And then just turn around to head back. Is this "Option 2" that he talks about reasonably easy? How would meetup rank it, for example? It looks beautiful.
    I have never found an "easy" way to do this hike. I know the guy who writes that blog. He also ran the Overland Track in Australia in a couple of days and hiked the Routeburn in NZ without a raincoat (did routeburn plus greenstone in 2 or 3 days - most people take a week). Anything Vince says is "easy" please take with a grain of salt - the guy is descended from a long line of mountain goats......
    Elegiaque likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2