Like Tree4Likes

Morning Pilates class on HK island

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Morning Pilates class on HK island

Hi - am looking for a pilates class to help sort out my back injury from around 3 months ago.

Any recommendations on somewhere I am likely to be able to get regular (2-3 a week) morning classes for a decent price without long term commitment to a gym or anything like that? A few threads on here already but they are a few years old.

Cheers

You can double check the Mandarin Oriental. I don't recall the schedule but they are quite good.

Options Studio on Stanley St (Central)

pb1234 likes this.

Hi thanks. I'm not sure I understand what your recommendation is though. Are you saying that the Mandarin Oriental hotel has Pilates classes / instruction and that a non-staying member of the general public is able to access it? Please share your specific experiences as I'd be interested in how this works before I cold call them for details!

Thanks for the Options and VIM recommendations. It looks like that for around 2-3 classes a week (10 classes a month) its looking in the region of $2000 per month.

Does anyone know of any other way of achieving this number of classes for much less than that? I am thinking the big chain gym memberships per month are a lot less than that but I have not really investigated these in details due to my assumptions that (a) they require long term (1-2 year) commitments and (b) their Pilates classes won't be that regular.

Is this a fair assessment? Any other creative ways to try and do this? At the end of the day, all I want to do is to get some support / guidance around Pilates for sorting out my back.

Quote Originally Posted by pb1234:
    Thanks for the Options and VIM recommendations. It looks like that for around 2-3 classes a week (10 classes a month) its looking in the region of $2000 per month.

Does anyone know of any other way of achieving this number of classes for much less than that? I am thinking the big chain gym memberships per month are a lot less than that but I have not really investigated these in details due to my assumptions that (a) they require long term (1-2 year) commitments and (b) their Pilates classes won't be that regular.

Is this a fair assessment? Any other creative ways to try and do this? At the end of the day, all I want to do is to get some support / guidance around Pilates for sorting out my back.
    Yes, this is a fair assessment. A couple of additional points regarding group Pilates classes, especially in the big chain gyms. First, they are not tailored to individual needs - like to people with injuries needing a rehab. They assume everyone is healthy enough to practice all exercises (you sign a waiver form when you join the gym). Second, they do not allow the teacher to TEACH Pilates approach - introducing basic principles and making sure students do apply them to each exercise. These only allow the teacher to DEMONSTRATE a sequence of Pilates based exercises, but how each student performs (the "Pilates way" or just an imitation of what the teacher is showing) is usually, IMHO, left to chance. Imagine around 20-30 people in the room all wanting to do SOME exercise - what is the teacher to do? Can't entertain them by talking through basics if nobody listens.

A small group class (6 people or less) at a Pilates or a small fitness studio is a good budget option. Usually these are priced between 150-200 HK$/hour and you can even check Groupon for occasional promotions.

If you have a serious injury and need individual attention then a private class would be more appropriate - as each back injury has a specific underlying issue that needs to be dealt with, and also has restrictions in terms of what moves are not allowed. You could consider taking a couple of private classes to learn the basic principles and the exercises that YOU need, and then continue on your own.

PS I am a Pilates instructor.
    Last edited by Khema; 04-10-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    pb1234 likes this.

Look up mandarin oriental spa and they offer Pilates classes. I go there for yoga so I don't know what the Pilates classes are. You pay per class, month or 10 class package.

pb1234 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lingc:
    Look up mandarin oriental spa and they offer Pilates classes. I go there for yoga so I don't know what the Pilates classes are. You pay per class, month or 10 class package.
    lingc, how much is per class, month or a class package?

Just a bump.

I've seen a few people recommend VIM Pilates in Wanchai. Can anyone give a review as to how they are with people with back injuries specifically? Not necessarily expecting them to be doctors/physios but would still appreciate if they were knowledgeable with how to get lower backs better. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast