Where to get weight lifting /oly lifting shoes?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to get weight lifting /oly lifting shoes?

Anyone know where I can get weight lifting shoes in Hong Kong such as:
    Nike Romaleos 2 Volt

Adidas Adipower Weightlifting Shoes

Or something similar designed specifically for lifting?

Thanks!

I dont where to get them, a pair of vans, converse, new balance minimus is good enough. As long the shoe is flat has a zero drop, they're ok for lifting

Most barefoot shoes work well for lifting. Escapade Sports have a reasonable selection. I like Inov-8 but I buy online and get them shipped from the UK.

Curious. What sort of weights are you guys lifting that you need special shoes?

I use normal cheap $300 trainers ... maxed @ 100kg dead lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Curious. What sort of weights are you guys lifting that you need special shoes?

I use normal cheap $300 trainers ... maxed @ 100kg dead lifts.
    Apologies shri for copying and pasting this from the internet but it explains why much better than I can:
    "Proper footwear in the gym is important, especially if you are lifting free weights. When we lift weights we want two things to happen: (1) all the force our body produces under the bar should contribute to moving the weight and (2) the weight needs to be controlled in a safe manner. If we lift in a running shoe, it's akin to trying to lift while standing on a giant marshmallow. The soles of the running shoes, the marshmallow, will absorb and dissipate a large amount of the force generated against the floor that should be directed towards moving the weight. A gel or air cell shoe is a great thing for reducing the impact shock that causes the repetitive use injuries associated with running. But in the weight room, shoes should provide for the efficient transmission of power between the bar and the ground. You can't lift as much weight in the wrong shoes.
    The second issue is control of the weight - and your body - while standing on an unstable surface. A compressible medium placed between the feet and the ground will behave inconsistently enough during each rep to alter the pattern of force transmission every time. This means that the subtle points of consistent good technique on any standing exercise are impossible to control. And there is an increased chance for a balance or stability loss-induced injury while lifting heavy weights, since perfect balance cannot be assured on an imperfect surface."

I switch to vans/converse type of shoes and my lifts have improved compare to normal trainer before especially for squatting where i feel more stable.

The raised heel is a workaround for ankle mobility issues that prevent many from squatting with proper form. They're not that great for deadlifting.

We sell Reebok Oly shoes at our gym in Quarry Bay. Pm me if you want details.

As a rule flat shoes will be better for most weight training. Oly shoes only really needed if you are olympic lifting or if predominantly squatting and as mentioned you have limited ankle rom.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks Mobile

The guys @ the gym told me that your best bets are to order from overseas.

Also repeated what AlixJames said ... no need for the top end stuff unless you're @ the top end. Interesting tidbit that I picked up .. the best shoes for dead lifts are ballet shoes, as you have to lift 1/2" less.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    The guys @ the gym told me
    My brain is having a really hard time trying to process this concept. Has the Shri we know and love been taken over by aliens or something?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast