Like Tree8Likes

Bike shop that sells Excider Totem?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bike shop that sells Excider Totem?

Hi folks,

I've seen a few people riding around with Excider Totem folding bikes and I quite like the look of them, but haven't yet found a bike shop that sells them. Anybody know one which does? And does anybody have one and can comment on whether they'd recommend it or not?

Thanks.

http://hk.f1.page.auctions.yahoo.com...ion/1134010209

You could also try the Taipo area. Looks like a POS to me--grip shifts and sprung rear suspension...but for the price it looks ok. It's rated for 120 kg too. Impressive!
    Last edited by jayinhongkong; 05-12-2013 at 10:51 PM.
    imparanoic likes this.

This is the folder I picked up:

Dahon Matrix (Chinese market) XRA643. It's basically an entry level hardtail trail/hybrid bike on slicks that folds. Closer to $5,000, though, but IMO life is too short for cheap bikes unless you're buying used, or buying something classic, like an Indian Raleigh or Chinese Flying Pigeon!

Bikes hold value a lot better than gadgets, too, and last a heck of a lot longer (usually), so spend the money and get something good. $4,000-5,000 is really as cheap as you want to go--there are a lot of very fancy $30,000+ bikes in people's homes here that only get ridden on cycle paths. lol

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 05-12-2013 at 11:31 PM.
    slug likes this.

I bought mine on groupon a few weeks ago. So far no problems with it.

slug likes this.

If the bike matches the one in Jay's link: That kind of frame design, where the rear triangle drives a shock into the front portion of the frame, usually characterises a really low quality bike. If you look around at extremely crappy 'full suspension' mountain bikes being ridden around bike paths in the New Territories, you will see the same design applied to non-folding bikes.

That design is pretty much a holdover from the 90s, and usually implies really budget parts throughout the rest of the bike.

Then again, the price is very low. As long as you go into this without expecting much in the way of quality then you're probably okay. Though for a bike that's clearly designed for paths, you may as well get a bike without suspension as it'll be more efficient when peddling for any distance.

On further thought... you'd be better off getting a fully rigid folding bike with no front gears. The shift mechanisms on cheap bikes tend to suck, especially for the front shifter. You're better off only getting gears on the back. $820 is so cheap for a bike that I'd kind of expect the gearing to go out of true pretty fast.

jayinhongkong and slug like this.

Agree that a rear shock on a cheap folding bike is a novelty at best. I had a cheap mountain bike with a rear spring shock that I rode in traffic in NYC, and when I hit potholes, the *sproing* rebounded so hard I bounced off my seat. The spring can be locked out to some extent though.

If I wanted to pick up another 26" folder for not too much money, I'd get one of these. Tern is basically Dahon. The original owner of Dahon (who is from HK, incidentally) used to work with his wife and son. A few years ago Mrs Dahon and Dahon Jr decided to leave Dahon and start their own company, making bikes that are almost identical:

http://www.ternbicycles.com/bikes/joe

For more money I'd go with a Montague Paratrooper!

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 05-12-2013 at 11:55 PM.
    slug likes this.

Thanks for the feedback. I've actually got my eye on one of those Montagues (are they as good as they get in terms of foldable mountain bikes?) but as I'm only just getting into cycling I thought it might be a better idea to get a cheap runaround first and seeing how much I use it before splashing out on something more expensive. I'm hoping that, as someone who's used to the sort of bikes you can hire for HK$20 an hour from local bike shops, I won't really notice that much.

Saying that, the Tern Joe looks like it could be good middle ground between the Excider and a Montague. I'm going to check out the shops on Wood Road today so hopefully I'll get a better idea. Thanks again!

jayinhongkong likes this.

The Montagues are about as solid as they get, but they don't fold as small as other brands I believe. I personally love my Dahon--the suspension fork is nice to have and protects the frame, which is important since I'm too tall and heavy for my bike! I'd go with the Montague for greater toughness and the ability to take it offroad. Not such a good idea with my Dahon! I'll probably just pick up a hardtail MTB, maybe a Specialized, if I want to try the ol' MTB thing. The folders make great commuters though, and having a folding bike makes getting into elevators so much easier.

If you are used to $20 hire bikes, you're probably going to see a similar level of quality on one of those Exciders or whatever they are called. New Territories hire bikes are roughly $500 bikes. The Excider is close to twice that, but you're paying a 'premium' for the fact that it folds, and also taking a quality hit from having that nominal rear suspension.

Montagues are probably the closest folder that you are going to find to a 26" mountain bike. Though I believe that Dahon and Giant both make a single model each that folds (hard to find though). Another option would be the Airnimal bikes (24" wheels?) at Flying Ball, but they get expensive.

Though this does raise the question- why would you want a folding mountain bike? Do you really intend to ride it on real trails? If so, there are not that many legal mountain bike trails in HK. If you are sticking to paths then a smaller wheeled folder will pack much more conveniently and ride just as well. The Montagues also look like a bit of a pain when it comes to public transport- they look mainly suitable for throwing into the back of a car.

jayinhongkong likes this.

^ good advice there. As for public transport, people take bikes on the MTR and ferries all the time and they DON'T fold, so it depends how dedicated you are. I wouldn't take a folding mountain bike very seriously except for the Montague; anything else would take too much of a beating if you ask me. My Dahon does quite well on the street, but the 26" x 2.0 tires and heavy frame and fork slow it down considerably, which is why I'm waiting for my singlespeed/fixie on 700x28c wheels. As far as portability goes, though, the Dahon is perfect for urban riding without sacrificing the efficiency and comfort of 26" wheels.

If you only want to ride on road then Dahon and Tern make reasonably priced 26" bikes. If you want something in 24", or even smaller, a world of options opens up and some of the 16" and 20" bikes fold so small you might even be able to get them on buses if you get the bags for them.

In the smaller wheel sizes you get fancy stuff like Bike Fridays and Bromptons, which have quite a dedicated following here in HK!

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 06-12-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast