Like Tree5Likes

Tung Chung to Tai O trail closed at Sha Lo Wan?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tung Chung to Tai O trail closed at Sha Lo Wan?

According to the AFCD site the Tung Chung to Tai O path at Sha Lo Wan is "closed" (presumably by awkward villagers extorting money for something). Has anyone here been along there in the last three weeks and could confirm whether in fact it is passable?

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 16-12-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Still closed from people who have tried recently.

I emailed the AFCD early last week about this and still no reply from them.

I guess if were really keen you could bushwhack around the village, or follow the coastline around from San Shek Wan. Not something I want to try in this weather though.

Thanks. Seriously closed? I mean how do the villagers get in and out?

And do we know from whom or on what basis they're trying to extort money?

And I don't think AFCD can actually help since the path is outside the Country Park - it would be under the remit of Islands District Council.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 16-12-2013 at 11:12 PM.

I guess Gordon Wu's bridge project is pissing them off.

Most of the villagers still use the ferry service from Tung Chung to get in and out, so thats why I suggested to walk around from San Shek Wan, if you check the map there is only about 150 metres of bushwhacking on the coastline to join up the two coastline paths (between the ferry piers San Shek Wan and Sha Lo Wan), then walk around past the temple in Sha Lo Wan Chung Hu, take a right at the football ground and pick up our regular path back towards Tung Chung.

That's a bit "exploratory" for a Friday hike!

Look at the Hong Kong Link Road alignment and you see my suggested route will be ruined shortly (if not already) anyway.

Last edited by emx; 16-12-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Walked from TaiO to TC by myself around 2 weeks ago and they had built several gates but only the frames.
    I think now it is with doors and a lock.
    You can walk around the frames left or right side on somebody's plot and get beaten up by the whole village.

According to the Chinese signs beside the road block gates what the villagers want is a proper road .the villagers don't worry me as much as the dogs particularly the pack near san tau chuyn

Thanks. Has anyone tried making a formal report to the police of the crime of blocking a right of way?

This is not new - its been going on for a while and to my bad-eyesight, this picture looks like it has more than a few policemen in it :
    http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/news/a...31119/18514111

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast