Like Tree4Likes

Fitness First Sheung Wan closing and not offering free termination!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fitness First Sheung Wan closing and not offering free termination!

I received a letter from Fitness First, telling me they would be closing down the Sheung Wan (Grand Millenium Plaza) club. My commitment is until January 2015 (it is a 2-year contract at $438/month).

The irritating thing is, they only offer to upgrade my 'Home' membership to a 'Premium Passport' one (which I have no interest in). They explicitly say they will continue to charge me until the end of the commitment.

Is that even legal? I mean, I signed up for a particular location because it's close to home; what they're trying to do is simply very icky.

Anyone else with a similar issue, or having come across the same situation in the past?

Attached Images Attached Images

What does the contract you signed say about termination?

Best practice would be to offer the upgrade or penalty free termination at the end of Feb. But in HK the gym operators have reputations for being rapacious scam artists.

I would write to them, say you are germinating the contract at the end of the next billing period and then cancel tje payment mechanism.

I doubt they just found in January they are losing the lease in February. Odds on them atil signing uo new customers into lockuos even when they knew it was closing? Very high I think.

Do you have a copy of your original contract?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using GeoClicks mobile app

Hi
    I actually just went to the Sheung Wan gym and told them i wanted to terminate my contract since they were closing the location, and they agreed without discussing! So i suggest you directly go there

SalseroHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    I would write to them, say you are germinating the contract at the end of the next billing period and then cancel the payment mechanism.
    Just an observation that cancelling recurring payments to credit cards is well-nigh impossible without the co-operation of the vendor. You have to dispute the charge every single month - the credit card company won't simply block it, in my experience.
    SalseroHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mari.:
    Hi
    I actually just went to the Sheung Wan gym and told them i wanted to terminate my contract since they were closing the location, and they agreed without discussing! So i suggest you directly go there
    Thanks Mari for this, I will see if it works for me as well!

I cancelled mine today with no problem as well

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Just an observation that cancelling recurring payments to credit cards is well-nigh impossible without the co-operation of the vendor. You have to dispute the charge every single month - the credit card company won't simply block it, in my experience.
    But if you inform your credit card company you had lost your card then all the monthly payments attached need to be signed up again. This is my understanding, never had to try it tough.
    Skyhook and SalseroHK like this.

Glad that you guys could cancel it. I almost signed up there recently too! I would have been pissed because simply picked that one because of convenience.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast