Like Tree12Likes

Six Nations NOT on Setanta!

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega:
    Grunty, you are more than welcome to come around and watch a game or two over a beer. It is in Kowloon though.
    Thanks, but, for the first round of games at least, I think I'll be down at Trafalgar. (Especially if they still have Kepler's cider and Brains Black on at $45 all night )

A friend of mine is in the Eurostar Business Premier Lounge at St Pancras right now surrounded by the England team on their way to Paris. Jammy sod.

This fiasco isn't really the fault of Setanta or, for once, Now TV. Al-Jazeera aka BeinSport has bought the rights. You can't blame Setanta for being outbid by Gulf money. The problem is, they have more money than sense. They have chosen TVB NetworkVision as their platform in Hong Kong, a platform I had no idea existed and which no one I know has access to. I have tried to subscribe (I'm a sucker, I know) and after about a dozen phone calls an engineer came round yesterday to set it up. He couldn't. No signal, they'll call me after the CNY break. Useless.
    You'd think that when they sell these rights they'd consider whether anyone will actually be able to see the games or not, wouldn't you? Short-sighted, stupid decisions all round.
    If anyone knows of any bars which actually have access to Beinsports, I'd be glad to hear from you. In the meantime, I'll use a VPN to watch BBC via the iPad.

I don't but I do know a couple of bars that have access to BBC One (and most other UK channels, including Sky Sports) - Trafalgar in Wanchai (where I shall be watching the games tonight) and Barn II in Causeway Bay. I think there's a place in Sai Kung has access now too.

FWIW, the dodgy Maige box I picked up in Sham Shui Po includes "Bein Sports HD" as well as a heap of other TVB channels I never knew existed.

wtbhotia likes this.

Think I will go to watch Ireland play tonight at Trafalgar. Anyone else there?

Can't make it I'm afraid - have to be hosting a Superbowl breakfast tomorrow at 7am.

I'll probably be there for Ire v Wales (10:30pm) and Sco v Eng (1am) next Saturday night, although I see that Chelsea against Newcastle is at 11pm, so there is going to be some competition for the sound during the first game!

Chelsea Newcastle, right before my Geordie wife flies to Brazil. I always hate it when this fixture comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Ooh interesting. No, that's not the one. That one's more money - looks like other companies are jumping on the bandwagon now.

This is it:

http://www.uktvhongkong.com/

Same as the one Trance just bought.

I first heard of UKTV on Twitter via Alan Sugar as he uses a version when he's in his Florida home. Was talking to a English friend here about it and it came out that a mutual colleague had started up UKTV HK. My friend had already got one of his boxes and loved it. It caused a mini-UK expat stampede for them at work and for a few weeks all everyone talked about was watching the telly. Especially the longer term expats who left the UK when there were just the 5 free TV channels. Even the adverts are suddenly interesting!

So, I got my mate to get me a box (I was off work at the time) and I'm very happy with it. Tons of channels and for most of the channels it stores programmes for the last 2 weeks so you can go back and choose what you want to watch. And there's no contract tie-in period. I'm very happy now I can catch up on F1 on BBC.

I think word is slowly getting out in HK about it. Mick who is one of the guys running the business lives in DB so people are starting to hearing about it there and obviously any expat who works at my (now former) employer and moves in the same circles as Mick and the guys I know.

Definitely recommend it! If anyone wants one but has any problems getting one, PM me and I can pass the message on.
    The monthly fees on the site, are they in HKD or USD?

Edit, sorry, I think the prices are in USD.

So, what to get, this box or the Magix box? Both have their pros and cons.
    Last edited by pin; 07-02-2014 at 09:52 AM.

I have confirmed with the manager who will be on duty this evening at Trafalgar that the terrace area will have the 6 Nations with sound for both games.

The inside area will be showing the soccer.

So I'll be there on the terrace.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast