Like Tree31Likes

Asking for advice to dealing with the undesirable selling practices of California Fitness

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    $368 per month doesnt seem to bad if you really intend on using the gym
    Must admit that I don't full understand what the problem is. Yes the OP was a bit naive/dense/stupid* (*delete as applicable) but I have to assume he wanted a gym membership if he was willing to spend hours talking to California about it. So he's ended up with a gym membership at a pretty reasonable monthly rate.....the problem is?????
    wtbhotia likes this.

could be he/she found another gym cheaper or didnt think he/she would be locked into a contract for 16 months.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

To the OP: you fell for one of CF's known (to most at least) sales tactics. I rather think this is the only way they get new customers.

At one time, CF was banned from the Small Claims Tribunal for using it so much for customers who had stopped paying the fees.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Must admit that I don't full understand what the problem is. Yes the OP was a bit naive/dense/stupid* (*delete as applicable) but I have to assume he wanted a gym membership if he was willing to spend hours talking to California about it. So he's ended up with a gym membership at a pretty reasonable monthly rate.....the problem is?????
    Actually I didn't want to go to a gym.
    In the beginning I tried to reject the offer by saying "let me come home and consider about it (I have to admit that my rejection is really weak and ambiguous)" but the salesperson kept asking me why I should consider. And then the manager came and ask me for my cards to check whether I have come there or not (because they said if I wanted to come on the other day, the price would be much much higher - and what I thought is, if I could go, I would never come back...).
    I stupidly/naively/densely trusted them and gave my cards to him. And that was how the nightmare began...

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    To the OP: you fell for one of CF's known (to most at least) sales tactics. I rather think this is the only way they get new customers.

At one time, CF was banned from the Small Claims Tribunal for using it so much for customers who had stopped paying the fees.
    But what about now?

Quote Originally Posted by theo11321045:
    In the beginning I tried to reject the offer by saying "let me come home and consider about it (I have to admit that my rejection is really weak and ambiguous)" but the salesperson kept asking me why I should consider. And then the manager came and ask me for my cards to check whether I have come there or not (because they said if I wanted to come on the other day, the price would be much much higher - and what I thought is, if I could go, I would never come back...).
    I stupidly/naively/densely trusted them and gave my cards to him. And that was how the nightmare began...
    Once, when I was younger and more naive, someone came up to me on a Melbourne Street and offered me a free personality test. I was in a new country and a bit bored, so I said sure. And I followed this person to a nice office place, and sat down with him to start the test.

I did the test, listened as the person told me I was a complete fruit loop whose only chance of being saved was to get brain washed and become a robot.

I stood up to go, and the person grabbed my arm and tried to get me to sit down. I pulled my arm free and walked to the door. Someone else came running up and grabbed my bag, and asked my if I really wanted to be left such a psychotic wreck.

I replied in the affirmative and took my bag back and walked to the door.

Now, many years later, I'm still not a Scientologist.

Getting up and walking out is always an option, unless you have pissed a Triad off.

I think that in the contract you sign there will be a clause which states that whatever you have been told verbally by the sales team means absolutely sod all unless they have written it into the contract, and had it signed off by a manager.

Last edited by Cwbguy; 29-01-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theo11321045:
    The crunch line, which you missed out on the above, is you then signed the contract.

I was once approached to sign up to CF, saying they've currently got a great deal. My reply was unless it totally free, then it's not a deal I'm interested in. The sales person then asked what type of credit cards I had so he can get me different discounts. My reply was, 15 of 50% of free is still free, so is it free? And no you cannot see my cards.

Now when I get approached, I just tell them I'm already a member.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app
    bak875 and theo11321045 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Once, when I was younger and more naive, someone came up to me on a Melbourne Street and offered me a free personality test. I was in a new country and a bit bored, so I said sure. And I followed this person to a nice office place, and sat down with him to start the test.

I did the test, listened as the person told me I was a complete fruit loop whose only chance of being saved was to get brain washed and become a robot.

I stood up to go, and the person grabbed my arm and tried to get me to sit down. I pulled my arm free and walked to the door. Someone else came running up and grabbed my bag, and asked my if I really wanted to be left such a psychotic wreck.

I replied in the affirmative and took my bag back and walked to the door.

Now, many years later, I'm still not a Scientologist.

Getting up and walking out is always an option, unless you have pissed a Triad off.
    I will keep what you have said in mind.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    The crunch line, which you missed out on the above, is you then signed the contract.

I was once approached to sign up to CF, saying they've currently got a great deal. My reply was unless it totally free, then it's not a deal I'm interested in. The sales person then asked what type of credit cards I had so he can get me different discounts. My reply was, 15 of 50% of free is still free, so is it free? And no you cannot see my cards.

Now when I get approached, I just tell them I'm already a member.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Yes. They brought several sheets of paper to me and didn't let me have a look at these sheets of paper and directly asked me to sign at appointed places. At first, I repeatedly refused to sign it, as I mentioned above. However, I thought that they would not return my cards unless I signed the contract and I finally gave in...
    Again, I regretted for not calling the police...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast