Like Tree31Likes

Asking for advice to dealing with the undesirable selling practices of California Fitness

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by theo11321045:
    Yes. They brought several sheets of paper to me and didn't let me have a look at these sheets of paper and directly asked me to sign at appointed places. At first, I repeatedly refused to sign it, as I mentioned above. However, I thought that they would not return my cards unless I signed the contract and I finally gave in...
    Again, I regretted for not calling the police...
    Its a learning lesson that you need to reflect on and makes you a stronger person for the future. Do what other expats do, kick up a fuss, start shouting, never be bullied into doing anything, threaten with the "I will call the Police" tactic in future and last but not the least, never ever sign a contract without even reading it properly.

lesson learned and enough nagging, its nearly CNY woohoo 2 weeks off. have a great week
    theo11321045 likes this.

Will people STOP erroneously saying that a signature on a document is tantamount to a contract. It simply is not!

OP, I really feel sorry for you. I remember as a 17 year old, I spent all my savings on a car. It broke down and (whilst I can't remember the ins and outs) the repair garage basically held my car hostage for weeks whilst attending to more "essential" repairs.

I was a mixture of too polite, too unconfrontational and too ashamed to do anything about it. When my dad finally worked out what happened, he marched me over there and nearly had a fist fight with the garage owner. It did not good (it rarely does), but my dad bailed me out, paid the fuckers off and I got my car back. I don't think I have (knowingly) been ripped off since. Sometimes, you just have to go through the experience to make you wise to these antics.

Point is this: everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) gets ripped off at least once in their lives. If you don't have the stomach for a long and time consuming fight with them, at least take solace in the fact that you still have a membership which you can use, and that the total exposure was only 10k. For what it's worth, I use CF and I actually think they're pretty good.

Drunken Master and shri like this.

At least you will get fit.

Now you have learnt your lesson you will know exactly how to deal with the "personal trainers", and I use the term very lightly, that will constantly harass you for great PT deals if you buy a package then and there!

A polite but firm"f**k off" is sufficient usually.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Its a learning lesson that you need to reflect on and makes you a stronger person for the future. Do what other expats do, kick up a fuss, start shouting, never be bullied into doing anything, threaten with the "I will call the Police" tactic in future and last but not the least, never ever sign a contract without even reading it properly.

lesson learned and enough nagging, its nearly CNY woohoo 2 weeks off. have a great week
    It is really a good lesson although the tuition is a bit high... XD
    I will keep these in mind!
    And Happy Chinese New Year!

this is HK - in everything remember that it is 'buyer beware' and don't be afraid to look someone in the eye and tell them you are not buying/signing/interested no matter how much pressure selling they try.

theo11321045 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    Will people STOP erroneously saying that a signature on a document is tantamount to a contract. It simply is not!
    Please feel free to actually spend a little time to read OP's first post.

Well. Many thanks to all of your kind posts.
    These days I am physically and mentally terrible and I will take a good rest during the Chinese New Year holiday.
    Still, I am looking forward to the result of the CC.

If other people have any other advice, please feel free to comment...

Last edited by theo11321045; 29-01-2014 at 04:20 PM.
    iliketurtles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Please feel free to actually spend a little time to read OP's first post.
    I did, proplus. Please elaborate.

I consider HK as a perfect place to develop your assertiveness as you have many opportunities to fight off many aggressive salespeople, charity fund raisers, real estate agents, cold callers etc. I once saw a Caucasian reject a fundraiser with a simple "get out of my fecking way b@tch!".

theo11321045 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast