Like Tree31Likes

Asking for advice to dealing with the undesirable selling practices of California Fitness

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

A new question: Since they had kept my ID card for a period of time, can they know the information that is stored in the chip? Do they have the right to do this?

You gave them the card so I don't think you have much to complain about on that front. I doubt they were stealing your thumbprint data.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    I consider HK as a perfect place to develop your assertiveness as you have many opportunities to fight off many aggressive salespeople, charity fund raisers, real estate agents, cold callers etc. I once saw a Caucasian reject a fundraiser with a simple "get out of my fecking way [email protected]!".
    That's cool...
    I am too shy to reject them so I am always easily stopped by them...

Quote Originally Posted by theo11321045:
    That's cool...
    Man up son! You may find a strategically timed 'f*ck off' surprisingly theraputic.

How about my other information? For example, my address etc.? They can know all of my information registered?

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Man up son! You may find a strategically timed 'f*ck off' surprisingly theraputic.
    I will try this next time.

How about my other information? For example, my address etc.? They can know all of my information registered?
    You signed a contract with them that didn't include your address?

I would be extremely surprised in CF have ID card readers, and in any case your address is not stored on the card. The only additional information above that printed on the face of the card are digitised versions of your thumbprints plus a note of your conditions of stay if you are subject to any.

http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immig...ic/smartid.htm

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/33/thread217922.html

Actually I want to know what is the result of it...

That's cool...
    In that case, until you learn how to reject them, wear headphones when you walk around. That way you can just ignore them and pretend you haven't heard them. Don't interact with these people. Hopefully you'll find that a bit easier. Then slowly build your confidence up to saying no to them.

Personally, if anyone tries to hassle me, at best they get a slight shake of my head and I may hold my hand up in front of me briefly (i.e. as if I'm pushing them away) to make it clear I'm not interested and never will me. On a bad day, they'll either get flattened as I barge past ignoring them or a mouthful of "choice" language that both demonstrates my lack of interest and displays my advanced technique in combining swear words to make any sentence as offensive as possible.

My father and his girlfriend visited me over Christmas and went off to the Ladies Market one night. My Dad's pretty tough but his girlfriend is classic English and doesn't want to offend anyone so she always responds to the salespeople out of politeness. Before they left, I gave them a special lesson on HK behaviour which can be summarised as "show no mercy". Pushing and shoving is acceptable here so don't react to it. Stand your ground and/or push and shove back. Under no circumstances say "sorry". Don't show weakness or they'll know you're new here / a tourist. Do not look anyone in the eye or speak to them unless you're interested in buying. If you're not interested, say No firmly and walk away. If they follow you, ignore them. Show no mercy!!!!

Hope this helps a bit.
    theo11321045 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    In that case, until you learn how to reject them, wear headphones when you walk around. That way you can just ignore them and pretend you haven't heard them. Don't interact with these people. Hopefully you'll find that a bit easier. Then slowly build your confidence up to saying no to them.

Personally, if anyone tries to hassle me, at best they get a slight shake of my head and I may hold my hand up in front of me briefly (i.e. as if I'm pushing them away) to make it clear I'm not interested and never will me. On a bad day, they'll either get flattened as I barge past ignoring them or a mouthful of "choice" language that both demonstrates my lack of interest and displays my advanced technique in combining swear words to make any sentence as offensive as possible.

My father and his girlfriend visited me over Christmas and went off to the Ladies Market one night. My Dad's pretty tough but his girlfriend is classic English and doesn't want to offend anyone so she always responds to the salespeople out of politeness. Before they left, I gave them a special lesson on HK behaviour which can be summarised as "show no mercy". Pushing and shoving is acceptable here so don't react to it. Stand your ground and/or push and shove back. Under no circumstances say "sorry". Don't show weakness or they'll know you're new here / a tourist. Do not look anyone in the eye or speak to them unless you're interested in buying. If you're not interested, say No firmly and walk away. If they follow you, ignore them. Show no mercy!!!!

Hope this helps a bit.
    This is very useful! Thanks a lot!
    I should have learnt this before I come to HK...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast