Like Tree28Likes

Long, flat hikes in Hong Kong?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Here are a bunch of suggestions for you but many of them do not have early exits.
    1) Look around Openstreetmap and find Catchwaters - the paths next to them will be flat. Too many to list but some memorable ones are : Circle around the twins, circle around Violet, circle around Parker (including Hong Pak Trail), Circle around Potinger, Circle around Cameron (no catchwater), ToTeiWan to TaiTamRoad, ShekPikReservoir to PuiO and many more
    2) Take a taxi or bus to the prison on ShekO Road and then walk along the flat path below Dragons Back.
    3) TaiO to Tung Chung along the north coast. Its 15km long but almost all flat.
    4) Sir Cecils Ride and his wife Lady Clementis Ride
    5) Conduit Road, around the west end to Aberdeen

The circle around the peak is a congested mess most of the time with slow-poke tourists. If you think Bowen is loud, the peak circle will be a rock concert. Avoid.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Tung Ping Chau is def a full day out and almost entirely flat with a few minor rises, plus a nice beach and a few restos to kick back in...

Watercooler likes this.

How about Tai Mei Tuk (Plover Cove Reservoir)? Walking on top of the Plover Cove Dam I think is 2 km one way, so 4 km both ways, and it's more or less completely flat, save for a short section where you have to go uphill slightly on a gentle gradient to reach the dam.

And the top of the dam is nice and wide, not to mention fully paved, so it's pretty easy to walk.

Last edited by Watercooler; 29-01-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    I could do it in 30...when I did it with my wife and kids and we stopped to look at stuff and enjoy the air it took about 1.5 hours...the OP has a bad knee too...
    30 mins running or walking ?

The actual length is closer to 2.8 km than 3.5, if the guidepost along the route is correct...

The Peak Circle is 2.8 by the signs and has a slight incline / decline that probably isn't that bad on someone with a knee issue but worth noting. You can extended it by a walk down to Barker Road and then across which adds at least another 1-2km.

Watercooler and INXS like this.

Thanks for the suggestions. We've done Shing Mun Reservoir twice, actually. It is indeed a very beautiful place to go (there are some steep sections though!). Done Tai Mei Tuk (once cycling, once returning from the Plover Cove reservoir hike) -- also very nice.

Tai Lam Chung Reservoir -- saw it when going across Tai Lam Country Park. Looked pretty bleak and very very dry (a few months ago). So is it really that nice for walking around?

Thanks for the info Howard -- so I guess with openstreetmap we can figure out where most of the catch waters are. They are indeed useful when looking for flat surfaces in HK. (By the way, not sure you got my big thank you about the LCSD kayaking course tip - biggest ever geoexpats win for me!)

Tung Ping Chau -- that would be a big, big excursion! Very far away. Are there really restaurants there? We were looking at info about it the other day actually... thought it was just a country park. I think it might be a bit too far to get to from Central, but will keep it in mind.

Tai O to Tung Chung -- never done it before, so perhaps it's time! What is the situation like with the angry villagers blocking some section of this?

I know the circus of the Peak loop -- don't mind it some days, but other days it just makes me grumpy(ier).

By the way, I saw there was a meetup hike (full) near Yuen Long that was rated very easy. It makes a loop around some wetland area with birds? Could anyone give me a route map of this or more info?

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    The circle around the peak is a congested mess most of the time with slow-poke tourists.
    Before 7:00AM it is fine

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Thanks for the suggestions. We've done Shing Mun Reservoir twice, actually. It is indeed a very beautiful place to go (there are some steep sections though!). Done Tai Mei Tuk (once cycling, once returning from the Plover Cove reservoir hike) -- also very nice.

Tai Lam Chung Reservoir -- saw it when going across Tai Lam Country Park. Looked pretty bleak and very very dry (a few months ago). So is it really that nice for walking around?

Thanks for the info Howard -- so I guess with openstreetmap we can figure out where most of the catch waters are. They are indeed useful when looking for flat surfaces in HK. (By the way, not sure you got my big thank you about the LCSD kayaking course tip - biggest ever geoexpats win for me!)

Tung Ping Chau -- that would be a big, big excursion! Very far away. Are there really restaurants there? We were looking at info about it the other day actually... thought it was just a country park. I think it might be a bit too far to get to from Central, but will keep it in mind.

Tai O to Tung Chung -- never done it before, so perhaps it's time! What is the situation like with the angry villagers blocking some section of this?

I know the circus of the Peak loop -- don't mind it some days, but other days it just makes me grumpy(ier).
    Tai O to Tung Chung isn't entirely flat. There are some up-and-down sections. You will have to climb or descend a bit on certain parts of that route. If you are ok with that, go ahead, just know it's not really that flat.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 29-01-2014 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    By the way, I saw there was a meetup hike (full) near Yuen Long that was rated very easy. It makes a loop around some wetland area with birds? Could anyone give me a route map of this or more info?
    that would be nam sang wai? http://www.wetlandpark.gov.hk/en/tour/nsw.asp?
    most people will rent a bike in yuen long, it's not a pleasant walk IMO. Nothing to see unless you're into birding. too many bicycles and cars during the weekends.
    Last edited by reprazent; 30-01-2014 at 12:14 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast