Like Tree28Likes

Long, flat hikes in Hong Kong?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    He went to Nam Sang Wai. He took the little ferry across what he described as a "black and stinking" channel of water to enter, and it didn't apparently get much better. He hikes regularly all over the territory so he's in a good position to make the comparison.
    Okay...well I don't want to argue about it...we do that little trip quite often and think it's nice! You don't have to go from that side anyway!

Have you tried it? You should...there is a reason why so much filming is done at Nam Sang Wai...many Hong Kong films and dramas feature the park...

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    OP, if you have not seen this group yet, you should check it out:
    http://www.meetup.com/Hong-Kong-Slow...yclingSupport/

Mike is a super nice guy.
    Haha, my partner is the kind of guy who wants to one day be free of a job and climb all the 14ers in Colorado.... he'll be so insulted. But it's still good to know about and I can keep an eye on their routes! Might be good for me to join them on my own, too...

By the way, I do know Sir Cecil's and Lady Clementine's Rides. If what people say about you is true, I even hiked it once with you on a meet up! But, getting on them and off of them, that does require going up about 100m, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    By the way, I do know Sir Cecil's and Lady Clementine's Rides. If what people say about you is true, I even hiked it once with you on a meet up!
    That sentence does not look complete, what do people say about me
    But, getting on them and off of them, that does require going up about 100m, doesn't it?
    Depends on which end:

Sir Cecil Quarry bay : you have to walk up 200m before you get to the flat part.
    Sir Cecil Mt Butler Road : you can take a taxi right up to the path so you have a 200m sloping down finish.

Clementi Aberdeen : You have to walk up 100m from Aberdeen up to the reservoir.
    Clementi Deep Water Bay : You can take a taxi to the start but you will have a fairly short set of stairs to get up to the catchwater start.
    Last edited by HowardCoombs; 30-01-2014 at 01:30 PM.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Along the water catchment the feeds Kowloon reservoir. 2 hour meters nearby to park the car and 9Km to the end and back. Flat and safe.

Last edited by East_coast; 02-02-2014 at 01:34 AM.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    2 hour meters nearby to park the car and 9Km to the end and back.
    I'd be surprised if Eliagique has a car. It shows a certain detachment from the reality of most expats' lives here that you just assume that people do.
    HowardCoombs and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    I'd be surprised if Eliagique has a car. It shows a certain detachment from the reality of most expats' lives here that you just assume that people do.
    Yes you are correct a bad assumption. 81 bus also serves the (also I think 72 / 76) route.

Comparable to Bowen Road but without the dogs, trendy runners, crowds or the same view.

Another option is Mac 10. To keep it as flat as possible you'd have to do an out-back walk, but if you start in Gold Coast (get a 962B bus there from HK island or Tuen Mun) then walk into So Kwun Wat (basically, just walk away from the water) you can walk through the village, out the back of the village up a small slope (but it's a road, so no steps) then turn onto Mac 10. Down a few steps (about 20) and then it's almost flat for about 5km along the dam (very pretty, some bamboo forest towards the end, some pine trees in the middle). Then a picnic site at the end, turn around and walk back.

If you can't do about 300m uphill on road or 20 downhill steps, avoid. But otherwise a good 2-3 hour walk without the tourists you get on the other "easy" hikes.

Elegiaque likes this.

Thanks for all the useful suggestions. This thread will be a good reference for the future (especially for how to start and get out of certain walks). Did Mac 1 today..... Something new I learned today: do not ever ever ever go to Sai Kung on a public holiday. Lost my sanity somewhere around 1:00 o'clock. Will need to spend all day tomorrow searching for it...
    It is nice, though, that HKers do go out and use the country parks....

B]do not ever ever[/B] ever go to Sai Kung on a public holiday. Lost my sanity somewhere around 1:00 o'clock. Will need to spend all day tomorrow searching for it...
    Some say similar things about SaiKung at weekends

do not ever ever ever go to Sai Kung on a public holiday. Lost my sanity somewhere around 1:00 o'clock.
    And if you really have to then go in and out via Ma On Shan...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast