Like Tree28Likes

Long, flat hikes in Hong Kong?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega:
    A stupid runner. I can think of a million things better to do over 62 hours.
    To each its own.

No one said u had to do so u can relax.

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega:
    A stupid runner. I can think of a million things better to do over 62 hours.
    It's not about running. It's about deciding you want to do something, or be something, and going out and getting it. Stories like this about ordinary people who do extraordinary things remind us all that anything is possible and sitting on our fat asses all day is just a cop-out.

Newspapers only publish bad news. Why not focus on achievement and good news for a change and give locals (he's a local) something to aspire for more than just money?
    bibbju and Watercooler like this.

If he did something for charity then I tip my hat off to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    To each its own.

No one said u had to do so u can relax.

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app
    I think Trance was joking.

I've recently got into mountain biking and I really get this seeing how far you can push...I used to do my circuit around Tai Lam Chung in over 2 hours but I now have an eye on the time and use it to push myself...aiming to do it in 1 hour by the end of 2014. We did the downhill from Tai Mo Shan and I joked that as kids, we'd have done it on BMX bikes...folks said it couldn't be done so, on 1st January to bring in the new year I lugged my BMX to the top of Tai Mo Shan and road it cross country to the Gold Coast! Last week, my wife and I finally marched to the top of Castle Peak, Tuen Mun's very own mountain...

Unfortunately I really let my fitness go and only turning forty woke me up...seeing all of the ultra fit locals has really inspired me and now I have an eye to doing some really long XC rides in China...we have great training grounds in HK...diverse terrain and so on...I hope people like this can inspire others to what can be done...there is a guy who rides Tai Lam Chung...must be in his 60s or 70s and he laps me on the loop, rides up and down all the steps and so on, he's always friendly and it's inspiring...(I can totally see how it might make some people give up though, haha!)....
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    ...and now I have an eye to doing some really long XC rides in China...
    I cant recall how old your kids are but if they are good and steady on their bikes, this is a lot of fun for the whole family:
    http://www.hkcta.org.hk/

They organize (practically) weekly rides in China. Bring your own bike or ride theirs. Bus & truck follow you the whole way if you decide to get lazy or just too tired.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I did this walk with the kids today. Pleasant and easy but its a bit more than 9km. I clocked it at 14km to the last pagoda and back.

The monkeys on this part of the trail seem to be a lot more docile than the other side of the road
    I tend to go very early in the morning and only ever see grey haired Hong Kongers and a few docile monkeys. You are right it is longer than I stated but I tend to drop out before the end.

I cant recall how old your kids are but if they are good and steady on their bikes, this is a lot of fun for the whole family:
    http://www.hkcta.org.hk/

They organize (practically) weekly rides in China. Bring your own bike or ride theirs. Bus & truck follow you the whole way if you decide to get lazy or just too tired.
    Thanks HC...they're 4 and 6 so still a little young. They learnt to ride on Striders and the oldest is about to graduate to BMX...they both race at the track at Kwai Chung...

How hard are those tours? Could I put a seat on for the smaller one?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I tend to go very early in the morning and only ever see grey haired Hong Kongers and a few docile monkeys. You are right it is longer than I stated but I tend to drop out before the end.
    Do you ever go to the pagoda at the end and then go down to the village using the path that starts at the pagoda?

Based on the maps, we were planning on doing that but when we got to the pagoda, an old Chinese lady made a very big fuss and told us not to go down to the village from that path, it was bad, no good etc etc - I'm just wondering if its just a bushy trail or if there is something actually wrong with that trail....

Since we were with the whole family, we took her advice and didnt try that trail but will probably go back and try a different day....

Do you ever go to the pagoda at the end and then go down to the village using the path that starts at the pagoda?

Based on the maps, we were planning on doing that but when we got to the pagoda, an old Chinese lady made a very big fuss and told us not to go down to the village from that path, it was bad, no good etc etc - I'm just wondering if its just a bushy trail or if there is something actually wrong with that trail....

Since we were with the whole family, we took her advice and didnt try that trail but will probably go back and try a different day....
    I think it comes out by a small scout camp and a government housing estate in Sha Tin. Not much there. Better to walk up to Sha Tin Pass gap. A bit long but path is in good condition and the views are worth it
    Last edited by East_coast; 04-02-2014 at 09:57 AM.

We were not in the mood for any uphill walking as we did our fill of hiking on Friday, Saturday and Sunday - it was a big hiking weekend...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast