Like Tree28Likes

Long, flat hikes in Hong Kong?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I think it comes out by a small scout camp and a government housing estate in Sha Tin. Not much there. Better to walk up to Sha Tin Pass gap. A bit long but path is in good condition and the views are worth it
    When I'm looking at new trails I tend to use Google Earth...open two windows side by side...window one: the contour overlay window two: the satellite overlay

Not foolproof but gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect...

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    It's not about running. It's about deciding you want to do something, or be something, and going out and getting it. Stories like this about ordinary people who do extraordinary things remind us all that anything is possible and sitting on our fat asses all day is just a cop-out.

Newspapers only publish bad news. Why not focus on achievement and good news for a change and give locals (he's a local) something to aspire for more than just money?
    That's because bad news sell papers...(along with sex and gossip columns...I blame you women for that ).

But yeah, he's a good story. Especially in this town, locals need every encouragement they need to break out of their mundane everyday "money-is-everything" mentality.

Any idea what shoes Vic So used?

In all the pics I can find of him quickly that show his shoes he seems to be wearing Salomons. I believe both Claire Price (top female trail runner in HK) and Andre Blomberg (the previous record holder for the four trails in one go) have used Hokas for races. Not sure if they still do. Salomon does seem to be the most popular brand amongst serious trail runners here.

But I'm really not sure that's relevant to your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    In all the pics I can find of him quickly that show his shoes he seems to be wearing Salomons. I believe both Claire Price (top female trail runner in HK) and Andre Blomberg (the previous record holder for the four trails in one go) have used Hokas for races. Not sure if they still do. Salomon does seem to be the most popular brand amongst serious trail runners here.

But I'm really not sure that's relevant to your situation.
    To be exact the previous recod holder was Low Chor Kin (Andre finished 3rd last year of this event that he created).

But anyway, plenty of runners use different shoes as you say.

You have the Salomon contingent (with Kilian Jornet and Co and closer to home Claire Price, Jeremy Ritcey..)...the North Face guys (with Seb Chaigneau and closer to home Stone Stang)...the Hooka guys (Julien Chorier for example and closer to home Eric Lahaie and Co if I am not worng)...etc etc...but all this is quite irrelevant...end of the days...is what fits you....

Thanks for the correction, and my apologies to Low Chor Kin - I'd missed news of the intervening instances of the event after Andre first did it.

And for those who dont get out much or are new to HK...here is a short video that show cases aome nice part of the Mac Lehose trail (partly)

http://vimeo.com/m/84711935

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Thanks for this. A really good read and just had to tweet it to the twitterverse.
    I still think he is bonkers though.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

In the SCMP.

http://m.scmp.com/sport/hong-kong/ar...kong-challenge

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7