Like Tree3Likes

Fitness bands

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fitness bands

Looking to buy a pair of fitness bands/monitors for myself and the GF, her main use is to stay in shape and my main use is to push me to lose a few pounds!

I'm looking at the Jawbone Up and Fitbit Flex. It seems on their website that they are pretty much the same thing, even the apps have 99% similarity in terms of functions.

Does anyone have experience with any of these? And preference on one over the other?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

I'm looking at maybe getting the Fitbit Force.

The wife has a fitbit and loves it : me, I dont understand the point of counting steps and monitoring your sleep. Just get out there and do it.

If you really want to monitor, there are countless apps out there such as MapMyRun/Runkeeper (for runners) and Everytrail/Alltrails etc (for hikers)....
    I have another friend who absolutely loves Endomondo Sports Tracker for the community aspect, getting targets, extra stickers, challenges etc etc.
    All of these are free or nearly free - why spend so much $$$ on fitbit and similar...

jgl likes this.

I have a jawbone up. Bit gimmicky and they are notorious for failing or not charging.
    Its interesting for a couple of weeks but soon the novelty wears off.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega:
    I have a jawbone up. Bit gimmicky and they are notorious for failing or not charging.
    Yeah, I've heard bits about not charging or syncing with the Up.

I have the Fitbit Flex and it's good, I think the Fitbit Force is supposed to be quite a bit better. Plus fitbit have updated their app to support a lot more android phones

Sent from my Nexus 5 using GeoClicks mobile app

I have the Fitbit Force and like it because I don't have to wear a watch as well.

Good monitoring on standard package which comes with the band and additional recording for other things such as blood sugar records.

What I have found very interesting is the poor quality of sleep!

I don't think it's in stock yet in HK, I ordered mine online from www.brookstone.com

kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega:
    Spot on there. Was given one for Christmas. Go to bed at midnight and get up at 8, it tells me I slept for 8 hrs. Wow! Already have a free pedometer app on the Iphone if I really need to know how far I have walked.

Go to the jawbone facebook page, a lot of complaints there about the unreliability factor.

My GF surprised me last night and bought us an early valentines gift, a pair of Fitbit Flex bands. So thanks for the all the feedback.

There's an app called Sleep Cycle that I find quite useful for monitoring my quality of sleep. Set the time I go to bed on it then place my iPhone on the mattress near my pillow. Simple but effective. I think it cost £0.69. As for steps, I just used to use a pedometer. Much cheaper!!! I use a heart rate monitor in spin classes but to be honest, I've used it for so long in spin that I pretty much know what my heart rate is from how I feel.

I wouldn't waste money on Fitbit etc but that's just my preference. Unusual though as I'm usually happy to waste money on all sorts of gadgets but this time even I'm saying no!!!

Last edited by bibbju; 05-02-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: fat fingers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast