Like Tree113Likes

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Seeing as you are the lone person thinking locals walk fast, I'm not so sure anyone should trust your perception on what constitutes exciting.

Here, have an exciting video. They move really fast too

Hahaha. Of course, bringing in an entirely unrelated topic here, so typical of you, HC. Ever heard of apple and oranges?

By your logic, someone who gets hoodwinked by a fake immigration consultant or gets surprised by congestion in Sai Kung on a weekend shouldn't be so sure about his perception either...

Feel free to stick with curling. I'll stick with hockey.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 06-02-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoSteve:
    Meanwhile, just to show how ready Sochi is, a few tweets from reporters stating the readiness of Sochi for the games that start tomorrow.
    You missed out some of the best (double toilets, etc.) here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ead-Games.html

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    The IOC is run by Europeans, what would they know about North American sports?
    So true.

http://www.olympic.org/ioc-members-list

I don't know how those pesky Canadians snook in. Or those Yanks. And those Chinese get everywhere. Hang on...there's a Mexican?? And a Peruvian?? There's even some guy from Fiji. Wtf?!!!! Oh wait a minute, I know. They're just Europeans with foreign residency. Phew! Panic over. I was getting worried it was a truly global organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    So true.

http://www.olympic.org/ioc-members-list

I don't know how those pesky Canadians snook in. Or those Yanks. And those Chinese get everywhere. Hang on...there's a Mexican?? And a Peruvian?? There's even some guy from Fiji. Wtf?!!!! Oh wait a minute, I know. They're just Europeans with foreign residency. Phew! Panic over. I was getting worried it was a truly global organisation.
    Ha, "big" deal having a token Canadian or American onboard. It's who is in control of the organization that matters. Last time I checked, all the recent IOC presidents are Europeans. The last American president, Avery Brundage, was over 40 years ago (and he was the sole American IOC president, in fact, all the rest were Europeans).
    Last edited by Watercooler; 06-02-2014 at 10:43 AM.

Ever heard of apple and oranges?
    Apples and Organges are members of Rosids which are members of a large monophyletic clade of flowering plants, containing about 70,000 species.
    By your logic, someone who gets hoodwinked by a fake immigration consultant or gets surprised by congestion in Sai Kung on a weekend shouldn't be so sure about his perception either
    You forgot to mention Egypt, did you know they are in eastern-med but are not part of Levant and only participated in a single olympic event, 1984 Alpine skiing? Meanwhile, Syria, which does belong to both Levant and the eastern med, unfortunately suffering from a crippling civil conflict has never participated in the winter olympics. Neat, huh?
    Feel free to stick with curling. I'll stick with hockey.
    I'd like to stick to something else with a stick but that would put me in a sticky situation so I'll save my stick for a rainy day when I can perhaps smoke a nice stick all the while enjoying the schtick of the Olympics; alas without any sticky wickets since 1900...

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Apples and Organges are members of Rosids which are members of a large monophyletic clade of flowering plants, containing about 70,000 species.
    You forgot to mention Egypt, did you know they are in eastern-med but are not part of Levant and only participated in a single olympic event, 1984 Alpine skiing? Meanwhile, Syria, which does belong to both Levant and the eastern med, unfortunately suffering from a crippling civil conflict has never participated in the winter olympics. Neat, huh?
    I'd like to stick to something else with a stick but that would put me in a sticky situation so I'll save my stick for a rainy day when I can perhaps smoke a nice stick all the while enjoying the schtick of the Olympics; alas without any sticky wickets since 1900...
    Silly boy, apple and oranges is referring to you bringing in an entirely unrelated issue to compare. But if you insist...you forgot to mention Syria. Why did the US contemplate taking action against Syria. Oh right, because Obama just felt like it.... Yup, in your fantasy world about how countries function on the international stage...cough...arguing for the sake of arguing...cough...la la la.

What does this got to do with the olympics? Beats me, but I'm not the one who started the inappropriate comparisons on here, hehehe.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 06-02-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Ha, "big" deal having a token Canadian or American onboard. It's who is in control of the organization that matters. Last time I checked, all the recent IOC presidents are Europeans. The last American president, Avery Brundage, was over 40 years ago (and he was the sole American IOC president, in fact, all the rest were Europeans).
    Ha ha mate, no-one's fault if you North Americans aren't up to the job. Surprised a Canadian hasn't made it through the net as at least you've got some French speakers so that should give you a fair crack of the whip. If you don't speak French AND English I think you're pretty much b*ggered. Which must wipe out the majority of the US at least. Most Yanks barely speak English.
    Watercooler likes this.

sorry to break up your conversation but I assume this means no one knows any bars showing the Canadian hockey games?

INXS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Ha ha mate, no-one's fault if you North Americans aren't up to the job. Surprised a Canadian hasn't made it through the net as at least you've got some French speakers so that should give you a fair crack of the whip. If you don't speak French AND English I think you're pretty much b*ggered. Which must wipe out the majority of the US at least. Most Yanks barely speak English.
    I agree most Yankees can barely speak English . But not up to the job? Maybe it has something to do with favourtism. For example, its no secret that the last IOC president, Jacques Rogge, wanted Rugby Sevens into the Olympics. Oh sure, he didn't "influenced" the vote...yeah right. I'm sure the fact that he was the IOC president had "nothing" to do with the fact that rugby got into the Olympics. Likewise, the fact that almost all IOC presidents were Europeans I'm sure had "nothing" to do with where they came from...Hehehe.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 06-02-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Silly boy, apple and oranges is referring to you bringing in an entirely unrelated issue to compare.
    Sorry, I thought they were referring to fruits. Speaking of fruits, did you hear about Samsung wanting Apple's logo hidden during the Olympics?
    But if you insist...you forgot to mention Syria.
    Umm, nope, nope - didnt forget them at all; if you re-read my informative message, you'll see they take center stage - alas never the center podium.
    Why did the US contemplate taking action against Syria. Oh right, because Obama just felt like it...
    What does that have to do with the olympics, Obama is not even going but he is sending a few controversial delegates along to poke at Putin?
    Yup, in your fantasy world about how countries function on the international stage...cough...arguing for the sake of arguing...cough...la la la.
    You should take something for that cough - its making you incoherent...

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast