Like Tree113Likes

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Anybody know where to watch the Olympics?

And for the fellow Canadians on this forum, anybody know which pubs will be showing Team Canada?

Not in the gay bars I assume

greenmark likes this.

TVB to present the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
    29 January 2014

The International Olympic Committee has awarded Television Broadcasts Limited (TVB) the exclusive broadcast and exhibition rights in Hong Kong for the XXII Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.

TVB has acquired the exclusive broadcast and exhibition rights across all media platforms, including free-to-air television, subscription television and new media.

“We are honoured to be Hong Kong’s official broadcaster for the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games”, said Mr Mark Lee, Group General Manager of TVB. “Our aim is to ensure that as many people as possible are able to enjoy the Olympic Games on all our platforms. It is yet another step in our effort to bring world class sports to Hong Kong viewers.”

The Sochi 2014 will be held at one of the most beautiful resorts in Russia from 7 to 23 February. More than 2,800 athletes from around the world, including Hong Kong, will come together to compete in 15 sports, comprising 98 events.

It will be the first time a Hong Kong male athlete qualifies for the Winter Olympics. Barton Lui Pan-to, aged 20, will compete in the 1,500 m speed skating. He will keep the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region flag flying at the opening ceremony of Sochi 2014 on 7 February.

China, after an important breakthrough at the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games, will field a team of 66 athletes to compete in eight sports.

The three-hour opening ceremony will be an extravaganza to present the participating athletes and feature performance by renowned Russian musicians and a chorus of 1,000 Russian children. It will be attended by world leaders including Chinese President Xi Jinping. This memorable event will be simulcast live on Jade, HD Jade and Pearl channels from midnight on 7 February, Friday (Hong Kong time).

There will be daily live coverage and event highlights including skating, skiing, snowboarding, ice hockey and more. In addition, there will be live streaming on TVB.com and extensive coverage by TVB Network Vision.

INXS and hkarts like this.

TVB better show the hockey games with Canada.

But...sigh...who am I kidding, TVB knows next-to-nothing about hockey, never mind Hockey Canada. I bet if I ask them whether they will show Sidney Crosby, they will think I am talking about Bing Crosby.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler
    TVB better show the hockey games with Canada.

But...sigh...who am I kidding, TVB knows next-to-nothing about hockey, never mind Hockey Canada. I bet if I ask them whether they will show Sidney Crosby, they will think I am talking about Bing Crosby.
    Yes indeed their intention is to cater for the tiny minority of canadians living in HK....

bibbju and Stoob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Yes indeed their intention is to cater for the tiny minority of canadians living in HK....

What's with the facepalm? When Cable TV had the winter olympics, they showed hockey games. Because they have their dedicated sports channel to show it on. Not TVB. We'll just get highlights of certain winter sports and hardly any live (or full) coverage.

By your logic, I guess those folks shouldn't complained when NOW TV pulled Six Nations, since, really, only a tiny minority in HK cares about it..

And like it or not, hockey is one of the top winter olympics sports in terms of coverage and attention. But I suspect since China can't compete on it, it would barely be mentioned, if at all. We'll probably get non-stop coverage of curling or some other dull as hell winter sports like cross-country skiing instead.

I also want to see Shaun White do his halfpipe, but I doubt TVB will show it, they don't even know what halfpipe is!
    Last edited by Watercooler; 06-02-2014 at 10:05 AM.

shorttrack and figure skating most likely...the online tvb guide shows only 1hr highlight packages so far so prob. no full hockey games sadly...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks mobile app

Oh prob freestyle skiing, esp aerials where China has done well...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks mobile app

Meanwhile, just to show how ready Sochi is, a few tweets from reporters stating the readiness of Sochi for the games that start tomorrow.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler
    And like it or not, hockey is one of the top winter olympics sports in terms of coverage and attention.
    In Canada perhaps.

The rest of the world call it "ice hockey". Hockey is played on grass.
    Last edited by bibbju; 06-02-2014 at 10:12 AM.

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast