Like Tree48Likes

Horror Story about Physical in Causeway Bay

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    People are not saying it is fake are they? Just a bit naff.
    are we really going to debate this?

I know it is raining in HK (UK it is a given) but still…

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    are we really going to debate this?

I know it is raining in HK (UK it is a given) but still…

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Never underestimate Geo! If there six pages dedicated to a sodding kettle then this is worth at least five before the boredom sets in.
    bibbju, East_coast, bak875 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hftvol:
    Hi,

I am wondering whether others have similar experience dealing with Physical gym salespeople, particularly in Causeway Bay:

I am looking for a gym membership in Causeway Bay and visited Pure, Physical, and California. Pure later gave me a 2 week free trial membership, and so did California. With Physical things got funny: I visited the gym in the first week of Jan 2014 with my wife and got a tour. We asked Kevin, the sales guy there, to contact us about a free trial (I left my phone number with him) because he could not sign us up for a trial on the spot.

Until several days ago nothing happened which is when I texted him instead and inquired about the trial. He first replied saying Physical does not offer a trial. I then called and voiced my bewilderment given all other gyms offered multi-day trials and that I also heard about such about Physical. He then said that I would need to "apply" for a trial on the web and that I would be contacted, which is what I did. I did not hear from them for several days and today

I visited the gym in person and requested to be signed up for a trial. Another sales guy, Roy, denied any such trial exists, then when I asked to talk to his manager, he came back and said that I can sign up for a trial online (which I mentioned to him from the very beginning I had already done). I talked longer with him and in the end I could not take it anymore and mentioned that I would either walk out of the gym with a trial or would not sign up and neither would my wife. He went away, came back, and said he can offer a 1-day trial, lol. I smirked and asked for his manager. He refused and I instead walked to the front desk and asked for someone to talk to because obvious Roy had no clue what he was talking about. I was then informed by his manager that they can do nothing about multi-day trials but, and here comes the best, that all "applications" for free-trials would have to be submitted online (which I had done) and that they would enter a lottery and that "winners" would then be informed. I waved them good bye and left the gym with a smile but in total disbelief.

Seriously, is this a joke? Physical not even the Mercedes in town, but in any case why would they not hand out trials? I mean, I showed my HKID card to prove I am a resident, they can easily check in the system that I have never requested a prior trial (not in CWB and neither elsewhere). I read on this forum that sales people seem very aggressive to make a sale but this was the exact opposite. I felt worse than the worst stories I have ever come across regarding Apple's product launches and purposely limited supply to push up exclusivity. But this cannot be it in this case.

Any idea what is going on? Until the very end I was more the courteous and very friendly and respectful in my tone and communication style. Not only was I obviously lied to multiple times (which I can deal with but still find highly unprofessional) but they obviously did not seem at all interested in selling memberships. I made very clear that no trial -> no membership signup.

Will most likely go with Pure which has an awesome gym in CWB and is still relatively empty even at peak times.
    A long but ultimately fruitless story. 3247 Characters

Do you use twitter? It could have been as per the below.

Quote Originally Posted by hftvol:
    Physical Gym were offhand when I tried and failed to get 2 weeks free trial, California were OK, Pure were good. Is the extra worth it?
    cookie09 likes this.

"Horror" was probably a bit exaggerated. I guess OP hasn't dealt with a lot of other things in HK, might be surprised and head for the airport.

This is what I would count as "horror" http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/33/thread286238.html

@EastCoast, Now I get where you are coming from ;-)

Looking at your responses in " Asking for advice to dealing with the undesirable selling practices of California Fitness" and saying that "HKD 10k is a very expensive life lesson" perfectly explains why you seem to be a freebie hunter and accuse everyone else to be the same. I despise coupons, freebies, offers because I do not consider anything in life to be free. I instead try to make informed choices and that is the precise reason I shop around and look at how crowded gyms are at different times and days of the week which is why a 1-day trial is not sufficient. Aside that I do think I could have still evaluated the gym on a 1-day trial but at that point I already had no inclination to bend over and leave with a 1-day trial when everyone else can get a 7-day pass. So, most of my motivation why I posted here was for fundamental reasons and that I disagree with the ridiculous procedure of obtaining a simple membership at a gym in HK. Nobody in the US, UK, Japan, Germany, Canada ever had issues to let me trial gyms nor pressured me into contracts or lied in such stupid manner that it was blatantly obvious. This crap only seems to happen here. I tried to save others the same aggravation. Your 4000+ posts here on this site, condescending attitude and posting on Saturday nights on threads where you have zero value to add in combination with considering 10k HKD an expensive life lesson only shows we obviously live life in different spheres. I understand long-standing members of this site seem to somewhat believe they own this site and need to school others about the way to post but please accept that I make my own choices how to post, if you do not like it, simply move on and post elsewhere.

P.S.: You counted characters? Who is the drama queen here? LOL ( I hope you used a word processor and did not do it by hand you may have miscounted)

QUOTE=East_coast;2725818]A long but ultimately fruitless story. 3247 Characters

Do you use twitter? It could have been as per the below.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by hftvol; 09-02-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blueagles:
    "Horror" was probably a bit exaggerated. I guess OP hasn't dealt with a lot of other things in HK...
    Maybe. But remember that a 4 Minute MTR delay makes it into the evening news here, triggers an internal investigation, and a call by the democratic party for the MTR CEO to resign.

I can't really the the OPs problem though. His shortlist was reduced from 3 to 2, makes it even easier to chose now.

And considering the gym cost, IMHO a newcomer should rent a place with a gym. Many clubhouses have.

....freebie hunter....
    Everybody likes a good deal. Nothing wrong with that. Many posts here are about finding stuff cheaper and the request to try a gym I find totally reasonable.
    Last edited by flameproof; 09-02-2014 at 02:05 PM.

@BlueEagle,

yes I admit it was overstated, it was not a horror story. It was a little frustrating but I signed up with Pure this morning and am happy with my choice (thus far and hopefully going forward). And I was not clear in my first post and admit I lead others to get the impression I am after free trials.

I was after spending some time at each gym (in fact I trialed different gyms all in January together, rather than one after another) in order to get an idea how loaded they are at different times/days. Knowing about the situation at Pure IFC2 I did not want to get sign up for a place where one has to wait in line to use equipment. But what I found most bizarre and what I wanted to share was that someone seems to have to enter into a lottery just to be chosen for a gym trial. And it does compare with Apple making sure they do not have ample supply when products launch and have people lining up 48 hours before the product launch to create artificial exclusivity. It seemed to have worked well for Apple, but applying a similar concept to an average level gym in Hong Kong is preposterous. I have to sign up online (sales people refused to sign someone up for a trial on the spot at Physical) and need to wait DAYS without even being sure whether to have a chance to get a trial or not? Excuse me, but maybe freebie hunters have no issue with such BS. I do not have the patience nor inclination to bend over.

In summary, I find it funny how some people on a seemingly stringent budget and limited resources (obviously that seems to be the case when calling HKD 10K an expensive life lesson) accuse me of being a freebie hunter just because I was smart enough not to hand over a single id (other than showing them that I have a HK ID card) before knowing what I am getting into. Someone who hands over credit cards does not agree to a deal, but someone who is stupid enough to let others make him sign a contract MADE A DEAL and agreed to the terms. Nobody held a gun against his head.

Both are not horror stories, both are testimonies to ridiculous selling techniques and hopefully serve as a warning to others. One person was stupid enough to get pressured into signing without reading and thinking first. The other walked away not taking the garbage, presented. Same situation, two different outcomes.

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by blueagles:
    "Horror" was probably a bit exaggerated. I guess OP hasn't dealt with a lot of other things in HK, might be surprised and head for the airport.

This is what I would count as "horror" http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/33/thread286238.html

Thank you for your "Horror Story" - it has been very helpful for those of us who would prefer a gym not populated by puffed-up windbags who feel the need repeatedly and loudly to remind those around them that they regard $10k as piddling small change.

I, for one, congratulate Physical on their discernment.

kimwy66, bibbju and chris_yang22 like this.

I bet you are pumping weights one floor below, aside sitting in front of your computer and adding to your 4000+ posts. Will send you coupons next time I come across any. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Thank you for your "Horror Story" - it has been very helpful for those of us who would prefer a gym not populated by puffed-up windbags who feel the need repeatedly and loudly to remind those around them that they regard $10k as piddling small change.

I, for one, congratulate Physical on their discernment.
    Last edited by hftvol; 09-02-2014 at 02:43 PM.

OP you may be better off spending that gym membership fee on a bit of passive-aggressive anger management.

bibbju likes this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast