Like Tree19Likes

Physical Fitness Gym... A complete waste of time and money!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Physical Fitness Gym... A complete waste of time and money!!

Joining Physical Fitness was the WORST thing I could have done in Hong Kong

Positives:

8/10 for cleanliness- including women’s changing rooms and machines
    Mirrors everywhere!!! (can be seen as negative) you can see yourself in every single angle possible…can be very annoying as you can also see how many people are staring at your backside and you can’t even change machines as they will STILL see you.
    Digital scales. I have counted 12 so far! Dotted around the gym floor and Women’s changing rooms so you NEVER forget to weigh yourself and compare yourself to the waif thin females of Hong Kong!

Negatives:
    The staff are incompetent. I’m not even sure why they have badges that say ‘Assistant supervisor’, ‘personal trainer’ and ‘receptionist’. They act like random young people that have been plucked off the streets that have experience in sales. The staff DO NOT care about your well-being, health or how you use their machines, all they want is your money! That’s why when I asked them a fitness question (how to slim my thighs with exercise!), they said “Umm, let me ask my supervisor” (this was a guy with a ‘Personal Trainer’ badge) and then he returned to say “I’m sorry, I don’t know. Maybe you can search internet for pictures?”. The apparent assistant supervisor in the Yuen Long branch is extremely rude, laughing and talking in cantonese back at his colleagues when I approach him to ask a few questions about his gym - Jun Heung I believe his name is - a young guy that looks 19 years old. The female assistant supervisor is no better - Jun Li?? They do not know how to make a non-chinese feel welcome! Need to brush up on customer service skills.

Cost: I was first quoted $650 HKD per month! I could not believe the audacity! I whittled it down to $400 a month but that involved going to the gym reception 3 times, speaking to 7 different members of staff and a lot of valuable time.

Only allowed to use ESSENTIAL equipment: medicine balls, heavier dumbbell weights (>8KG), stability balls and yoga mats IF you are partaking a personal training session in the personal training sectioned off area. By the way this ‘session’ seems to involve the PT having you in a very uncomfortable/sexual position and holding this position for 5 minutes (no cardio/weight training was seen!)

Staff are unprofessional, always seen joking around with each other (as in play fighting!!!) and 9 out of 10 are rude. They also look as if they have nothing to do – standing around in groups and chatting OR coming to have a good minute’s stare at you while you plank, then leave when they are caught by you! Also, a TIP if you are thinking of joining…if you want to speak to ONE member of staff, not five…as them to come to the seating area. Otherwise, every single staff will LITERALLY come close to you to listen to what you’re about to say! Ridiculously nosey! Or just bored… there are about 3 members of staff to 1 customer!

No ‘females only gym’ – perverts/staff. Probably why all the women are seen NOT working out, but sitting in the steam rooms in their towels, with their paper-style face masks on.

No floor space/stretching area – must stretch amongst all the machines. Very cramped. Perverts staring.

The staff make a MASSIVE deal about towel rental!!! When I signed up, they told me the price that I negotiated was “NO! NO TOWEL INCLUDED!...you must bring your own! Okay…?! You want towel..? You pay extra!” Oh Lord! It was no big deal to me anyway, back at home – it’s normal to bring your own towels for your own gym dirt! Having said that, one day I forgot my towel so I asked at reception if I could rent one. It took 4 people to make this decision!!! (This included 2 so-called ‘Assistant supervisors’) And 10 minutes!!! And in the end I didn’t even walk away with a towel! In the end, one staff said “ok, you can have towel but it is $30 to rent for one day” I said that I don’t have my purse but I don’t mind paying tomorrow if they put it on my record. They flatly refused.

Basically, there is a very good reason why this gym has over 200 machines and I see less than 10 people (customers) each time…and I go at 10/11am!

Fellow westeners, please recommend a gym! Physical have got it all wrong! so bureaucratic and never felt so uncomfortable in a place! I even tried going to the larger city gyms - Physical in Central, Tsim Sha Tsui and Wan Chai...all are the same as Yuen Long. Maybe a little bit more busier.

HELP!!!
    TheBrit likes this.

Buy a mountain bike.

Tom007 likes this.

Hmm, first time poster.

I will read your comments later.

<snip>

Last edited by shri; 14-02-2014 at 05:26 PM. Reason: trying to get rid of this "you know where the airport is ... even though it may be valid ...." :)

Physical is the cheapest of the gym chains in Hong Kong. This is very much a case of you get what you pay for.

If you want a 'nice' gym Pure for 3-4 times the price. Or Fitness First if you want less crowding. There are a bunch of long gym threads that discuss the merits of different options. Fitness instructors in HK tend to be pretty substandard, and there are also threads that cover this. I'm not sure if you'd get good free exercise advice in any of the gyms, as instructors are seen as a revenue stream.

By the way, there are no exercises that specifically "slim the thighs". You can selectively add muscle to an area but you cannot selectively remove fat in an area.

If you want a female only gym, then look at http://www.phillip-wain.com/hk/eng/

Frankly, you had enough warning in the complex signup process. If this wasn't a big enough warning about their competence then I don't know what else is.

Last edited by jgl; 14-02-2014 at 12:34 PM.
    muzzdang and shri like this.

Joins forum to post long rant about Physical gym, well this hasn't happened before.

shri and INXS like this.

Love it when people complain about a service and STILL go and pay for it.

Painful

Last edited by shenwen; 14-02-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDavies3791:
    Joining Physical Fitness was the WORST thing I could have done in Hong Kong

Positives:

8/10 for cleanliness- including women’s changing rooms and machines
    Mirrors everywhere!!! (can be seen as negative) you can see yourself in every single angle possible…can be very annoying as you can also see how many people are staring at your backside and you can’t even change machines as they will STILL see you.
    Digital scales. I have counted 12 so far! Dotted around the gym floor and Women’s changing rooms so you NEVER forget to weigh yourself and compare yourself to the waif thin females of Hong Kong!

Negatives:
    The staff are incompetent. I’m not even sure why they have badges that say ‘Assistant supervisor’, ‘personal trainer’ and ‘receptionist’. They act like random young people that have been plucked off the streets that have experience in sales. The staff DO NOT care about your well-being, health or how you use their machines, all they want is your money! That’s why when I asked them a fitness question (how to slim my thighs with exercise!), they said “Umm, let me ask my supervisor” (this was a guy with a ‘Personal Trainer’ badge) and then he returned to say “I’m sorry, I don’t know. Maybe you can search internet for pictures?”. The apparent assistant supervisor in the Yuen Long branch is extremely rude, laughing and talking in cantonese back at his colleagues when I approach him to ask a few questions about his gym - Jun Heung I believe his name is - a young guy that looks 19 years old. The female assistant supervisor is no better - Jun Li?? They do not know how to make a non-chinese feel welcome! Need to brush up on customer service skills.

Cost: I was first quoted $650 HKD per month! I could not believe the audacity! I whittled it down to $400 a month but that involved going to the gym reception 3 times, speaking to 7 different members of staff and a lot of valuable time.

Only allowed to use ESSENTIAL equipment: medicine balls, heavier dumbbell weights (>8KG), stability balls and yoga mats IF you are partaking a personal training session in the personal training sectioned off area. By the way this ‘session’ seems to involve the PT having you in a very uncomfortable/sexual position and holding this position for 5 minutes (no cardio/weight training was seen!)

Staff are unprofessional, always seen joking around with each other (as in play fighting!!!) and 9 out of 10 are rude. They also look as if they have nothing to do – standing around in groups and chatting OR coming to have a good minute’s stare at you while you plank, then leave when they are caught by you! Also, a TIP if you are thinking of joining…if you want to speak to ONE member of staff, not five…as them to come to the seating area. Otherwise, every single staff will LITERALLY come close to you to listen to what you’re about to say! Ridiculously nosey! Or just bored… there are about 3 members of staff to 1 customer!

No ‘females only gym’ – perverts/staff. Probably why all the women are seen NOT working out, but sitting in the steam rooms in their towels, with their paper-style face masks on.

No floor space/stretching area – must stretch amongst all the machines. Very cramped. Perverts staring.

The staff make a MASSIVE deal about towel rental!!! When I signed up, they told me the price that I negotiated was “NO! NO TOWEL INCLUDED!...you must bring your own! Okay…?! You want towel..? You pay extra!” Oh Lord! It was no big deal to me anyway, back at home – it’s normal to bring your own towels for your own gym dirt! Having said that, one day I forgot my towel so I asked at reception if I could rent one. It took 4 people to make this decision!!! (This included 2 so-called ‘Assistant supervisors’) And 10 minutes!!! And in the end I didn’t even walk away with a towel! In the end, one staff said “ok, you can have towel but it is $30 to rent for one day” I said that I don’t have my purse but I don’t mind paying tomorrow if they put it on my record. They flatly refused.

Basically, there is a very good reason why this gym has over 200 machines and I see less than 10 people (customers) each time…and I go at 10/11am!

Fellow westeners, please recommend a gym! Physical have got it all wrong! so bureaucratic and never felt so uncomfortable in a place! I even tried going to the larger city gyms - Physical in Central, Tsim Sha Tsui and Wan Chai...all are the same as Yuen Long. Maybe a little bit more busier.

HELP!!!
    physical has a single location for ladies only, cwb

central was strangely quiet during evenings for first 1.5 years of opening ( barely, 30% machines occupied), on the other hand shatin is constantly packed, average wait for a machine around 15 mins and this is biggest branch with over 200 machines, also the one of oldest and a décor bit worn out, tst seems to have oldest machines, knackered out 25 year old treadmills

BTW, most gyms are busy during peak times - weekday evenings and weekends

thus, during office hours, most gyms are quiet full stop
    MDavies3791 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:

Painful
    a gym contracts range from 6 months to 24 months, it's prepaid, hard to back out, impossible to obtain refund.

would you quit a gym if you paid for the next year or two?

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:

Painful
    Physical did not offer any day passes to trial. And it is EXTREMELY difficult to get out of. I had a GP note and handed this in 3 weeks ago, I am still fighting to get out this. We are not complaining, we are warning others before they fall into the trap that we are now in.

We?

You got a doctors note for both of you?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast