Like Tree1Likes

Adult lesson for ice hockey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Adult lesson for ice hockey

I always loved the game but I have never gone on the ice once. I can skate and scrimmage a little bit with the stick.

Anyone knows where I can take lessons? or perhaps join other "newbies" scrimmage in Hong Kong?

I am close to 30 and found that all the lessons offered are for kids.

Thanks!

Bos

Try contacting the Hong Kong Academy of Ice Hockey:

http://www.hkaih.org/hkaih_coach.htm

or the Hong Kong Ice Hockey Association:

http://www.hkiha.org/cgi-bin/home.cgi?lang=ENG

I tried to convince my wife to learn it once at the Dragon Centre Sky Rink at Sham Shui Po, but she said the hockey instructor there was an asshole. That was quite a few years ago so maybe its different now.

Last edited by Watercooler; 26-03-2014 at 01:51 PM.

The winter season of the hockey league at MegaBox is now into the playoffs. When the playoffs are done, there is usually freed up time slots. MegaIce will usually fill in the empty time slots with stick and puck sessions where all you need is a stick and your skates. I play in the hockey league so I usually get email about the stick and puck sessions. Next time it pops up, I will try to remember to post that information on here.

Your wife should have taken advantage of women's hockey celebration a couple of months ago. That was a one day thing where any female could go on the ice to try out ice hockey (as a celebration of women's ice hockey). They had free skate and stick rentals for that event.

It would be interesting to get the name of the instructor that is mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayzilla:
    The winter season of the hockey league at MegaBox is now into the playoffs. When the playoffs are done, there is usually freed up time slots. MegaIce will usually fill in the empty time slots with stick and puck sessions where all you need is a stick and your skates. I play in the hockey league so I usually get email about the stick and puck sessions. Next time it pops up, I will try to remember to post that information on here.

Your wife should have taken advantage of women's hockey celebration a couple of months ago. That was a one day thing where any female could go on the ice to try out ice hockey (as a celebration of women's ice hockey). They had free skate and stick rentals for that event.

It would be interesting to get the name of the instructor that is mentioned above.
    Ha, it would be interesting indeed. But this was years ago now , so she could'nt remember the name of the instructor. She said that guy was impatient and just didn't want to teach her and tried to dissuade her by being unnecessarily harsh and mean.

To be honest, she wasn't that crazy about hockey (she was always more of a volleyball person), I was the one who tried to convince her to try it. She wasn't my wife yet back then, just my girlfriend, so I think it was wise for me not to press the matter with her again.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 26-03-2014 at 03:53 PM.

For stick and puck, do you guys need any other equipment? I know back home, even for stick and puck the rink required us to wear helmets (with or without visor).

Quote Originally Posted by TBS:
    For stick and puck, do you guys need any other equipment? I know back home, even for stick and puck the rink required us to wear helmets (with or without visor).
    Good point. Because of insurance policies these days, my hunch is that you would need to have helmets (possibly even cages although that would sound like overkill but like I said, with insurance policies these days....). I never go to these so I will have to check with some of my friends that might know. I will post back when I find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Ha, it would be interesting indeed. But this was years ago now , .... She said that guy was impatient and just didn't want to teach her and tried to dissuade her by being unnecessarily harsh and mean.

To be honest, she wasn't that crazy about hockey (she was always more of a volleyball person), I was the one who tried to convince her to try it. She wasn't my wife yet back then, just my girlfriend, so I think it was wise for me not to press the matter with her again.
    You know the saying, some can play well, some can teach well, but it is not common for one to do both well.

The women's hockey scene is always interested in getting more females into the game so that they can get enough to make a league. I would guess that they are very welcoming/patient to any females that want to get into the game. They usually have their practice ice time on Tuesday nights before, although it may be moved to a different time slot now. The price for the women's practice was a little more reasonable too. If you are still interested in getting your 'wife' into the game, I can check for you. They are a very nice bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayzilla:
    You know the saying, some can play well, some can teach well, but it is not common for one to do both well.

The women's hockey scene is always interested in getting more females into the game so that they can get enough to make a league. I would guess that they are very welcoming/patient to any females that want to get into the game. They usually have their practice ice time on Tuesday nights before, although it may be moved to a different time slot now. The price for the women's practice was a little more reasonable too. If you are still interested in getting your 'wife' into the game, I can check for you. They are a very nice bunch.
    No need to add apostrophes, she has been my wife now for the last 2 and half years now . She is busy with her work and what sports she does now is mostly volleyball, so I really don't know how whether she'll be interested. But I'll ask her.

need of a goalie in HK?

Sorry for hijacking this thread. Considering a move to HK, just wondering if there is a demand of goalies in HK for a rec league? Just wondering if it's even worth while to bring my equipment over. (storage is an issue if I'm not going to play)

What's the general cost to play in a rec league? Also wondering if it's worth while to bring my player equipment.

I find the best way to learn how to play hockey is actually playing it. Just sign up to join the league (summer league will be starting up at Megabox) as a single in the lowest tier. Don't feel intimidated, there are plenty of other players who are either playing hockey the first time or still new at it. The more you play, you will learn more from your teammates and just by playing, then you will get better at it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast