Like Tree17Likes

Road Cycling Hong Kong Island

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio:
    Well. I don't really agree that Hennessy and Johnston roads are safe....On the other hand- I would never recommend to anyone to night bike on SirCecil's ride. That is far to dangerous to think about it.
    While I can see you point on the first part, I dont understand your danger comment about SirCecil.

Yes, its illegal - but I cant think of any part of that path that is dangerous. Chunks are paved and the parts that are not paved are hard packed. Very few areas have a rock or 2. Can you please tell me what part you see as dangerous....

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that it's just a mix up with trail names.

HowardCoombs and hoolio like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    While I can see you point on the first part, I dont understand your danger comment about SirCecil.

Yes, its illegal - but I cant think of any part of that path that is dangerous. Chunks are paved and the parts that are not paved are hard packed. Very few areas have a rock or 2. Can you please tell me what part you see as dangerous....
    Even if I was talking about night riding on that path, the thought that I'm plunging to my end every ten seconds, on that sinuous road, is what made me say it's far dangerous. Also, the training runners will not be very friendly with this fatal dude hitting them.
    Jgl, HowardCoombs-Instead of chatting here, just leave me your number or drop an e-mail - address in previous post - and let's do something for this weekend.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio:
    Even if I was talking about night riding on that path, the thought that I'm plunging to my end every ten seconds, on that sinuous road, is what made me say it's far dangerous.
    I'm pretty sure you've got the wrong road. There is really no where to plunge along there....
    If you want me to show you around, come along tonight - there is a hike on that path and I'll introduce you to the path:
    http://www.meetup.com/hongkonghiking...nts/174649002/

Jgl, HowardCoombs-Instead of chatting here, just leave me your number or drop an e-mail - address in previous post - and let's do something for this weekend.
    Cheers
    Sorry, my weekends are full with kid-stuff. When I do go outdoors on weekends, its always with the family.

For the record, I did this trail last week (and even briefly saw HC with his giant group of hikers in tow) and can confirm that it's very easy. I did it on a super-twitchy, short wheelbase, folding bike, occasionally without even bothering to use bike lights as there was enough light from the half moon to ride by (unfortuately good parts of the trail are tree covered which necessitates lights).

It's completely safe to ride- you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere to 'plunge' off. I did come across a couple of smaller groups of hikers who were totally unfazed by a lone rider. As with my experience riding over in the New Territories, hikers are usually completely fine with riders as long as you're not a dick about it. Saying "hello" goes a long way.

Last edited by jgl; 14-04-2014 at 02:55 PM.
    HowardCoombs likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3