Like Tree2Likes

Bumped by Physical Fitness

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Forget about your friend saying negotiate till $220 for 12 months contract. if you can do that, please post that in this forum

Yeah, which Physical is this? Let us know if you can get it down to $220, that is way too cheap!! $420 sounds just about right. I'd be interested to join at $220

Quote Originally Posted by Adore:
    I have a pet project where I've been documenting any and every posted gym membership rate that I've found across various forums. Physical Fitness over the past 12 months has averaged $431/month with the lowest being $293 (2 year contract), the highest being $599 and the median being $389.

Rates have been going up consistently since April 2012 (the earliest date I have). The 2012 average was $307 and the median being $300.
    Thanks for this. This is a good idea. Everyone should know what prices are being accepted to avoid being scammed.

It's a freakin gym membership. There should be standard rate plans. Get rid of the annoying sales crooks!!!

As I've posted in the past....to avoid multiple phone calls every week from their sales people, don't give them your real phone number...we learnt the hard way.

I go to the Wanchai Physical. I renewed my contract back in Jan for $260 a month for 15 months, all clubs membership.

It does get pretty crowded after working hours but in the mornings it's pretty quiet and tolerable.

I've heard Fitness First is the cheapest. 200 HKD per month - no contract (apparently).
    PURE is famous for being the most expensive. They seem to have a 0 negotiating policy while California Fitness you can still try and bring the price down.
    I managed to get a decent deal at PURE as a full-time student, only because they have a special price for full-time students. (Langham PURE Fitness + yoga).
    Although I should say, I still haven't signed a contract. I'm going there on Monday to sort it out... I just wanted to wait for a while and do some research.
    I live far away, so joining a gym in Central is out of the question. Mong Kok area I at least have a direct bus to. But still, can't help feeling like they are taking advantage of me anyway.
    I was previously with California Fitness (in 2012) price was 368 per month / 1 year contract - one location.
    But I only ended up going 3 times out of the year, simply because the location was not ideal and the atmosphere was depressing. Not to mention that they don't trust their customers with towels - which I found oddly annoying. One of the perks of PURE - the towels are available at an unlimited supply - without you having to provide your ID card in exchange for one small towel, and one even smaller.

It's sad to see how gyms operate in Hong Kong though. Very different from everywhere else from what I've heard.. They really try and bully you into a contract here. You got be on your toes. They don't care what health you're in - as long as you can cough up the money. Especially if you're willing to pay for personal trainer, on top of the membership fee.

Last edited by Sweeneykill; 26-04-2014 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeneykill:
    I've heard Fitness First is the cheapest. 200 HKD per month - no contract (apparently).
    I think that is indeed very apparent. First time I've heard it this low. I was paying around 400+ and I knew people paying more than me and some at 300+ levels. If you can get more detailed info on that, please do share with us. Maybe they've been members ever since FF opened?

It's sad to see how gyms operate in Hong Kong though. Very different from everywhere else from what I've heard.. They really try and bully you into a contract here. You got be on your toes. They don't care what health you're in - as long as you can cough up the money. Especially if you're willing to pay for personal trainer, on top of the membership fee.
    You just need to learn to walk away. I haven't heard yet of anyone being physically forced to signup.

Quote Originally Posted by blueagles:
    I think that is indeed very apparent. First time I've heard it this low. I was paying around 400+ and I knew people paying more than me and some at 300+ levels. If you can get more detailed info on that, please do share with us. Maybe they've been members ever since FF opened?

You just need to learn to walk away. I haven't heard yet of anyone being physically forced to signup.
    I read one story where a gym took the woman's Hong Kong ID and basically held it captive. Although it's the first time I've ever heard of something like that.
    It's like you said - people have to learn to say no and walk away.

I read one story where a gym took the woman's Hong Kong ID and basically held it captive. Although it's the first time I've ever heard of something like that.
    It's like you said - people have to learn to say no and walk away.
    Unless they tackled her to the floor and wrestled her HKID from her, she must have handed her it to them in the first place. Which is a very silly thing to do if you're not completing a transaction with them there and then.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Unless they tackled her to the floor and wrestled her HKID from her, she must have handed her it to them in the first place. Which is a very silly thing to do if you're not completing a transaction with them there and then.
    Couldn't agree more, but sadly some people have to learn the hard way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast