rescue diver course - in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Seriously, not that much fun... been there done that

All right, I have to ask, where to dive...

Quote Originally Posted by sylvesterjay:
    "...

You do know viz here is horrible?
    Sylvesterjay,

After diving Cozumel, I am not sure if anything compares but maybe you know ...

I am traveling to HK within the next month and want to plan some diving over the next year or two, can you enlighten me on:

1- Countries (near or not too far) where diving can be good.
    2- Cost (relative to US prices)
    3- Types of dives ( I have done some caves - cenotes in Mexico)

Frank

Philippines and Thailand are both close hops. Puerto Galera in the Philippines, Similans in Thailand are both excellent dives, as are other spots in the region.

Cost I'm not positive about, but it will be cheaper than diving in the US.

There is a good drift dive in Puerto Galera, some good pinnacle diving in Thailand...most people just go out for the dive and look at all the pretty fishy's...unless you're Chinese like my buddy that wants to eat everything he sees.

Quote Originally Posted by sylvesterjay:
    Philippines and Thailand are both close hops. Puerto Galera in the Philippines, Similans in Thailand are both excellent dives, as are other spots in the region.

Cost I'm not positive about, but it will be cheaper than diving in the US.

There is a good drift dive in Puerto Galera, some good pinnacle diving in Thailand...most people just go out for the dive and look at all the pretty fishy's...unless you're Chinese like my buddy that wants to eat everything he sees.
    also some pretty good spots in Malaysia.

I hear Guam is pretty good spot as well, but its not cheap.

Cebu has some nice dive spots and you can get a direct flight from HK there.

HK full day diving will set u back some US$50 for fun on dive boat with 2 to 3 bottles of air, viz of 5 ft up to 30 ft and limited fauna. Forget about turtles, sharks and dolphins; your time here will be better spent getting ur PADI certification (or go professional) and shopping for equipment.

Thailand dive will cost u some US$80 ~ US$100 a day w great variety of animals.

Puerto Galera in Phillipines hosts vast number of fishes. HK based dive shops, listed in previous postings, often offer bargain fly-dive-resort packages starting US$400. Cebu has some great wall dives and cleaning station dive for shark spotting.

I am thiking I will be visiting Cebu ...

Quote Originally Posted by rkhl:
    HK full day diving will set u back some US$50 for fun on dive boat with 2 to 3 bottles of air, viz of 5 ft up to 30 ft and limited fauna. Forget about turtles, sharks and dolphins; your time here will be better spent getting ur PADI certification (or go professional) and shopping for equipment.

Thailand dive will cost u some US$80 ~ US$100 a day w great variety of animals.

Puerto Galera in Phillipines hosts vast number of fishes. HK based dive shops, listed in previous postings, often offer bargain fly-dive-resort packages starting US$400. Cebu has some great wall dives and cleaning station dive for shark spotting.
    Thanks for your kind suggestions, I will be doing a little bit of traveling , will be looking or other spots when I get there...

scuba diving cebu philippines

In Cebu, water looks beautiful, how is water temperature?

don't forget to check out L-S PRO , located near Jordan MTR -- they are very cool and have boats every weekend, as well as PADI courses taught in English. Reasonable prices also.

I highly recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    also some pretty good spots in Malaysia.
    I was in Sipadan a few weeks ago.... oh man what a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynfan:
    Thanks for your kind suggestions, I will be doing a little bit of traveling , will be looking or other spots when I get there...

scuba diving cebu philippines

In Cebu, water looks beautiful, how is water temperature?

The water temperature is nice and warm in Cebu, 27C-28C all year round. There are some very nice dive sites all around Cebu and the surrounding small Islands. We went wreck diving last spring in Malapascua, it was absolutely fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by squid:
    I was in Sipadan a few weeks ago.... oh man what a great time.
    Presume this was staying in Mabul or Kapalai, as I don't think they have re-opened the island for people to stay on it? Spent a week there while you still could and it was fantastic indeed, lots of sharks and turtles on every dive (you kind of ignore them after a couple of days!), barracudas, squid, angelfish, frogfish, nudibranches, etc. - even saw a big school of hammerheads one morning!