Like Tree14Likes

Scuba Diving in Hong Kong

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    I logged over 200 dives with Mandarin Divers in Hong Kong and some with them in Puerto Galera.

Dive sites around Sai Kung.
    Thanks Emx, they really were very helpful when I got in touch with them. Will try them out soonest!! :-)

I've done a couple of hundred dives in PG - mostly with Atlantis who I think are the best operator in Puerto Galera. I have done six dives in Hong Kong - that was more than enough for me. At the start of your diving career I think it's good to get all the experience you can - and if local diving works than go for it. However, the realistic truth is that diving in HKG and the Phils is like chalk and cheese. Suck up the former to get dive time and experience - do the latter to have fun and actually see interesting marine life.

If you fly out on Friday evening and return on Monday evening you can easily get eight dives in at PG, more if you want to push it. I must have done a couple of dozen trips like that - it isn't as cheap as cruising the sand at Sai Kung but it's infinitely preferable in my view.

Whatever you decide - the trick is to keep diving. A bad days diving is always better than a good day at the office!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    I've done a couple of hundred dives in PG - mostly with Atlantis who I think are the best operator in Puerto Galera. I have done six dives in Hong Kong - that was more than enough for me. At the start of your diving career I think it's good to get all the experience you can - and if local diving works than go for it. However, the realistic truth is that diving in HKG and the Phils is like chalk and cheese. Suck up the former to get dive time and experience - do the latter to have fun and actually see interesting marine life.

If you fly out on Friday evening and return on Monday evening you can easily get eight dives in at PG, more if you want to push it. I must have done a couple of dozen trips like that - it isn't as cheap as cruising the sand at Sai Kung but it's infinitely preferable in my view.

Whatever you decide - the trick is to keep diving. A bad days diving is always better than a good day at the office!
    thanks thebrit, that's what i thought too: keep practising here to not forget the skills and then enjoy when going abroad. :-) those short trips to PG seriously sound tempting, with only one day you'd need to take off work, right? I will look into that too, thanks!! So you'd do approx. 4 dives a day there then, right? you stay on a boat or is it daily trips leaving from the hotel?

Yep, you can leave HK after work on a Friday - get to PG midnight-1am and then dive Sat/Sun and come back on an afternoon flight on Monday. Some of the operators will handle the logistics - with Atlantis I just booked my flight and they handled a van/boat combo from the airport to the resort.

You'll stay in a hotel overnight and do boat dives in the day. Maximum of five dives a day if you want a night dive, most people do three or four. All dive sites 5-15 minutes boat ride from the dock, so you return to land between dives.

There are day excursions to places like Verde Island if you like, so you stay on the boat during the day and return to land mid afternoon.

Warning: pretty much nothing to do in PG in the day apart from dive. Don't take a trailing, non-diving partner and expect them to enjoy it.

Last edited by TheBrit; 05-05-2014 at 09:27 AM.
    mrsgunsnroses likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by elle:
    Sorry to be nitpicking, but a dive course needs to be taught and certified by a qualified instructor, not a dive master.
    Sorry, I was careless on his qualifications - I think he is either a Master Scuba Instructor or Master Instructor - I can't remember exactly. Ken used to organise diving trips (as I have not been diving in a while not sure if this is still the case currently) for my company in HK waters as we had a corporate sustainability programme, and Ken's trips were educational and environmental protection (we did underwater survey of fish popultion for eg) in nature.

I second The Brit's recommendation of the Atlantis (in PG as well as in Dumaguete). They arrange the logistics of getting there smoothly and their instructors and dive masters are excellent. Mr Elle did his dive master course there, parallel to me doing my rescue diver course.

Hi Guys,

has any of you ever used Seaexplorers as Operator for Dive Trips and/or courses on the Philippines? Apart from Puerto Galera which other dive sites were you happy with diving at on the Phillies?

Best scuba diving locations in/around HK?

What are your favourite diving spots in HK? Beginners level, 1-day trip? Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2