Hong Kong cyclying?

Hong Kong cyclying?

Hello all,

I am pretty new to this forum and am hopefully moving soon....

I posted recently to get information about cycling in Hong Kong - specifically Lantau, with no response. I suppose that could be my answer but decided to try again.

I am trying to decide whether or not to take my road bike - not motorcycle or mountain bike - with me. Is is a good place to ride? Is the traffic such that it is too difficult or dangerous? Are there riding groups?

thanks.

I have certainly seen plenty of people cycling (normally solo or in a pair) on the roads of South Lantau; the traffic could never really be described as heavy. You'd need to like hills.

Great - thanks. How about living in Tung Chung - specifically Carribean Coast? Is it possible to ride right from the buildings?

Is it normal or even possible to keep bikes in the flats and take them up and down in the elevators? Does anyone know of any secure bike storage?

thanks

There are a lot of bikes around Tung Chung - many people seem to use them to ride to the MTR station.

Specifically about CC I'm afraid I can't help since I only pass through Tung Chung occasionally on my way to or from a hike.

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by livinginlantau
    Is it normal or even possible to keep bikes in the flats and take them up and down in the elevators? Does anyone know of any secure bike storage?

thanks
    Yes, this is how most people store bikes (that are not crap) in HK. Bikes are generally best kept indoors- if you leave it on the balcony the steel bolts can rust.

Groups of ppl ride road bikes along the service road between TungChung & the bus drop-off at the front of Disneyland, tuesday evening and weekend in particular. bike shops in TC knows when the next ride coming. Vehicle traffic is sporadic. Bike do fit in elevator of CCoast. Leaving ur valuable bike in public unattended is begging for regret and sorrow ad infinitum.

I've always taken my bike up to any flat I've lived in and never had any problems and you can ride anywhere in HK reasonably safely. The south side of the island is quite popular and there are plenty of quiet roads in the NT. When I lived in Pok Fu Lam, it was often quicker to ride my bike than taking a bus or taxi when I went to Happy Valley and riding Bonham, Caine and Kennedy was not unpleasant.

Thanks for all the input.