Like Tree4Likes

Physical Gym memberships, is this normal?

Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10

    You are possibly missing my point, we deal with it in that we consider signing up with a different gym. I was only inquiring about others' experience and whether an attempt on the gym's end can be expected to still get to a mutually agreeable deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Whilst you have some of my sympathy for dealing with a bunch of well-known tossers, from your original post you state that you knew from the outset that your wife would forgo getting the same rate as you if she insisted on the trial.

    Lo and behold, she took the trial and was given a different rate.

    Is this completely surprising?

    Also, if you are expecting reasonableness out of a gym, you should be looking at another chain. As the other poster mentioned- he is a member and has experienced their randomness. Some industries attract cowboys, and in HK gyms are simply one of them.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10

    Agree so far with my limited experience. Having spent a considerable amount of time in mainland China I find the condescending attitude of a lot of locals towards mainland China highly questionable. I have had much better experience signing up with regular gyms in Shanghai and Beijing (I am not talking about those that cater to expats) and signing mobile phone contracts. I can walk into 10 different China Mobile shops in Shanghai and get the exact same quote, here you walk into 3Com and get a different heap of crap after another depending on which shop you go. HK retail dealings remind me much more of wild-west practices and thus the arrogant attitude towards mainland China looks to me to be quite out-of-place. I guess its the contradiction in how professional locals advertise their city to be and the true state of affairs.

    Enough said.

    But thanks for the heads up and for all who shared their experience. I appreciate it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    When dealing with gyms, Pure may be an exception, and telcos, especially PCCW, please do not even think about " integrity and professionalism ". It simply is not in their business vocabulary.
    Last edited by ueber; 19-05-2014 at 04:45 PM.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,111

    Fair enough. If you do join Physical, expect to be regularly approached by incompetent personal trainers who will occasionally call you and your wife fat

    I would not join Physical, my threshold for dealing with their sort of crap is too low.

    Fiona in HKG likes this.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10

    Ha, let's see how that turns out for the trainer if he/she dared to try that with my wife, I am pretty relaxed and take it with humor, for my wife it depends on her mood at the time :-)


    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Fair enough. If you do join Physical, expect to be regularly approached by incompetent personal trainers who will occasionally call you and your wife fat

    I would not join Physical, my threshold for dealing with their sort of crap is too low.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    39,676

    Airlines sell the same seat at different prices, hotels price rooms differently, super markets price differently across locations...

    Not just the gyms and not just HK specific.

    Claire ex-ax and Fiona in HKG like this.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10

    Hold on, this is not a fair comparison. I am questing price discrimination on the basis of the person, you are talking about price discrimination based on time of booking and location. I would have never even posted if the time between my signup and her price inquiry was >= 6 months, or if they gave this as reason (no matter whether it be a lie or not). Their pricing may change, not an issue. And we are talking here about a 50% price increase. I hope we can agree that 2 people who inquire about the same airline seat at around the same time should not and generally are not quoted prices 50% apart.

    You cannot believe what the sales person tried to explain the 50% price increase (she did not say how much more it would be when we inquired initially), among others (which unfortunately had me burst out in laughter):

    - Without trial get same price, with trial -> 50% more expensive contract
    - "You do not have 3 stars on your HK ID card so thats why its more expensive" (note: I have the exact same visa status as my wife, non-permanent resident status)

    I wondered whether my laughing out loud pissed off the sales rep that she tries to now pay back or whether she is brainwashed in thinking she could have gotten us to sign up on the spot without trial, or whether she is plain stupid, or whether they try to steer people away from Elisabeth House because there are enough members signed up, I have no idea. But even though I disagree with price discrimination based on the person , I could understand it if there was a reason, but the reasons given were an insult even to a monkey's intelligence...


    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Airlines sell the same seat at different prices, hotels price rooms differently, super markets price differently across locations...

    Not just the gyms and not just HK specific.
    Last edited by ueber; 19-05-2014 at 04:57 PM.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10

    Anyway, thanks everyone for chiming in.


  8. #18

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    39,676

    >> I am questing price discrimination on the basis of the person

    Yeah, I know you're not going to like the answer ... dynamic pricing exists across a lot of sectors.

    http://lifehacker.com/5973689/how-we...an-do-about-it

    Bottom line .. if they don't want your business, move on.


  9. #19

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10

    interesting read, thanks, I was aware of the fact that it exists and believe its rather rare even in the online sector. And I think here is the difference: Consumers cry foul in the US, Europe, Australia if something like this was unearthed. Here, people just move on and the practice continues or even expands because loyal customers would shun the place.

    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    >> I am questing price discrimination on the basis of the person

    Yeah, I know you're not going to like the answer ... dynamic pricing exists across a lot of sectors.

    http://lifehacker.com/5973689/how-we...an-do-about-it

    Bottom line .. if they don't want your business, move on.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Posts
    14,636

    One gym (not naming names) in Hong Kong started as a female-only gym. It only accepted local women, as in ethnic Chinese. Being PR was not acceptable if you weren't Chinese. Not very PC here.


Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast