Like Tree4Likes

Physical Gym memberships, is this normal?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    One gym (not naming names) in Hong Kong started as a female-only gym. It only accepted local women, as in ethnic Chinese. Being PR was not acceptable if you weren't Chinese. Not very PC here.
    Please do name names.

Are mainlanders with PR allowed? What about CBCs, etc?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using GeoClicks mobile app

I think Pure is the only gym that has their prices in black and white.

Yes I got a promotional (it's still expensive at $788) rate because I signed up to their Causeway Bay location before it opened but now i think it's closer to $1000.

Their PT prices are the same for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    I think Pure is the only gym that has their prices in black and white.

Yes I got a promotional (it's still expensive at $788) rate because I signed up to their Causeway Bay location before it opened but now i think it's closer to $1000.

Their PT prices are the same for everyone.
    Pure called me last week with a special offer of around $1050 a mnth.
    PT used to be around $700 with discounts for bulk buy.

I used to be a Physical member years ago but got tired of them and did not renew my membership. Just before this Chinese New Year I got a call from them, offering me free two-weeks trial. I asked what's the catch and they said no catch. As it was pretty cold around that time, I figured I could use their saunas and steam rooms for two weeks, and I accepted the offer.

They needed me to go over to get my free membership pass for the two weeks, and that of course turned into a sales pitch. I kept telling them honestly that I am not interested in a membership because I don't like their facilities, their service attitude and being locked in a contract for two years etc. They made it very clear that I could get either the free trial, or the special discounted membership at HKD278/month for 3 years membership (and whippiee, free towels thrown in as a sweetener!), but if I chose the trial and wanted to join afterwards, it would be at their normal price of almost HKD700/ month.

I calmly said I'd like the two-week-trial, please and thank you, and enjoyed warming up my bones in the sauna for the next two weeks. When I checked out on the last day, lo and behold, I was STILL offered the discounted membership, which I declined, knowing it would be waste of money as I have not motivation for Physical - and the price was too high just to use the saunas. A few days after that I still got phone calls from two different Physical sales persons, offering me the discounted membership. So it might be worth waiting for a while, as they might realize getting one more member at lower fee is still better than getting none.

Physical recently opened in Tai Po. I was accosted by five different salespersons before the gym opened and the rates varied wildly. When I finally got a good rate, I didn't want to to sign immediately out of concern the gym would be delayed in opening, which it was for several months so I would have lost those months of membership.

After the gym opened, I went to sign the papers and suddenly the salesperson who I had basically seen every day outside the facility was totally unknown. I went back several times and no one could remember him until one salesperson finally admitted they fired him for "signing up too many people." After several more tries of trying to get a decent rate and not being able to get a trial pass (even though a free pass was on their website), I gave up and went back to the public gym.

I was most interested in their classes but saw members squashed together like sardines in the yoga classes. Classes are very limited unless you want to practice dozens of variations of yoga. What a disappointment. Their smaller free weights are in a section where there is no mirror, bench or anywhere to lift - just in a busy corridor that could be quite dangerous if someone bumped into you. Totally unprofessional.