Like Tree4Likes

Physical Gym memberships, is this normal?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Physical Gym memberships, is this normal?

I moved to HK quite recently and I signed up for gym membership at Physical's Elisabeth House location about a month ago. I got a hkd 278/month rate (prepaid cash) for a 12 month contract and they threw in 4 months extra. This membership only allows for usage of this particular location. I have no idea why they gave additional 4 months free months of membership (membership extends to 16 months). This sounded quite reasonable and so no issue there.

Now, my wife expressed interest in joining and when she signed up for a trial she was told that if she takes a trial that she cannot join for the same rate as I did. No matter our polite requesting of information we did not get any reasonable explanation why that was the case, of course we knew they wanted us to sign on the spot but my wife insisted she wants to do the trial and see for herself. She used the trial and I now asked to extend the same rate to my wife. The sales lady (I would rather describe her as "!"''$%#"$" bitxx" but lets keep it polite) insisted that is not possible without further explanation and her quote was 420/month. That is 50% more than what I pay. Even though that rate is also quite low in international comparison but we balked out of principle and wait for an improvement or else my wife will sign up with a different gym.

Is there an explanation for this? Do they try to steer women to their woman-only gym at their other CWB location? Signing up for the gym has been nothing short of a lot of pain(aside getting my rate at the end), uncountable BS, shenanigans, lies, backing away from earlier verbal agreements,....

Question, is there a reasonable chance they get back to us or shall we just look for a different gym for my wife? We work out at different times anyway so working out at different gyms is not an issue at all, else we would have probably paid that $420. It just feels stupid to let them go ahead with those ridiculous sales practices. Any advice? Thanks.

Last edited by ueber; 19-05-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Sounds about right for Physical. Cowboys (I should add I am a Physical gym member & have experienced this as well. They have a habit of changing their prices on a daily basis).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using GeoClicks mobile app

So, the sales rep has complete discretion over the rate she quotes? Nobody above her to talk to because I can hardly imagine that management wishes to have their sales reps relieve the firm so easily off potential customers.

Whats the Eliz. Hse gym like?

Plenty free weights, racks etc? Body composition analyzer machine?

sufficient for my need. Not sure of any body composition analyzers.

So what is your experience with how to proceed in my case?

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Whats the Eliz. Hse gym like?

Plenty free weights, racks etc? Body composition analyzer machine?
    Last edited by ueber; 19-05-2014 at 03:47 PM.

How long ago was this? Wait for a few days .. they all have a quota to fill (not sure if they get more aggressive with their rates towards the end of the month ..)

Read some of the past threads on Physical and California Fitness. You will then understand that them being random and arbitrary is completely normal behaviour.

Physical is also the cheapest of the four or so gym chains- you get what you pay for in terms of management and operating practices.

Maybe that seems going practice, and something to get used to here in HK. But just because you eat the occasional congee or noddles at a local shop or because you shop at H&M does not mean that the price quoted is suddenly changed when you pay after your meal or that the patron after you pays half price of what you paid, does it? I guess I am old school and because I uphold integrity and professionalism at work I generally hold others to the same standards...some expectation adjustment needed I guess. At least I find the the pride local residents claim of their city's professionalism a little out of place, hardly compares with what Westerners in their home turf are used to and should generally expect.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Read some of the past threads on Physical and California Fitness. You will then understand that them being random and arbitrary is completely normal behaviour.

Physical is also the cheapest of the four or so gym chains- you get what you pay for in terms of management and operating practices.
    Last edited by ueber; 19-05-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Whilst you have some of my sympathy for dealing with a bunch of well-known tossers, from your original post you state that you knew from the outset that your wife would forgo getting the same rate as you if she insisted on the trial.

Lo and behold, she took the trial and was given a different rate.

Is this completely surprising?

Also, if you are expecting reasonableness out of a gym, you should be looking at another chain. As the other poster mentioned- he is a member and has experienced their randomness. Some industries attract cowboys, and in HK gyms are simply one of them.

Edit: Referring to cwb's post below, you should also read up on complaints here about PCCW otherwise you're in for another big shock.

Last edited by jgl; 19-05-2014 at 04:38 PM.

When dealing with gyms, Pure may be an exception, and telcos, especially PCCW, please do not even think about " integrity and professionalism ". It simply is not in their business vocabulary.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast