Like Tree868Likes

2014 FiFA Worldcup Discussions

Page 114 of 196 FirstFirst ... 106 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 122 ... LastLast

2014 FiFA Worldcup Discussions

First night without football since 2 weeks. How can I survive??
    ;-)
    ;-)

29 June 2014

Brazil vs Chile
    12:00am
    TVB Network Vision 13 Channel
    TVB Network Vision 19 Channel
    NOW Channel 818
    NOW Channel 840

Colombia vs Uruguay
    04:00am
    TVB Network Vision 13 Channel
    TVB Network Vision 19 Channel
    NOW Channel 818
    NOW Channel 840

My take

Brazil v Chile 3:1
    Columbia v Uruguay 2:1 a.e.t.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Last edited by Tom007; 28-06-2014 at 12:38 AM.

I've got withdrawal symptoms!

Tom007 likes this.

Brazil vs Chile - Chile
    Colombia vs Uruguay - Colombia
    Netherlands vs Mexico - Netherlands
    Costa Rica vs Greece - Costa Rica
    France vs Nigeria - France
    Germany vs Algeria - Germany
    Argentina vs Switzerland -Argies
    Belgium vs USA - Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    My only concern with the USA doing well is football becoming big there and them trying to change the game - you know four quarters, no draws that sort of thing.
    What if . . . .

Then . . .

Players would take the pitch holding hands with super models rather than kids at the beginning of the match.

The pitch would be called the the field.

The match would be called the game.

The table would be called the standings.

The fixtures would be called the schedule.

A goal would be called a point.

A point would be called a game (in the standings)

There would be no regulation.

There would be no promotion.

Fútbol would be called soccer.

Football would still be called football.

More players would learn English for a chance to make endorsement dollars.

Hockey/NHL would suffer the most from Soccer's gains.
    Mat and Watercooler like this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    FIFA ranked #4....
    FIFA ranking not quite relevant to be honest. Switzerland is 6th for example.

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by elle:
    In most countries a championship/cup where teams of only one nation compete in, like the NBA, is not called a 'World Series' and the winners are not 'World Champions'.
    So you think that the NBA & MLB have teams from only one nation?

If you are going to be snarky, I suggest you at least get your facts straight
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Soccer or football or it doesn't matter?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using GeoClicks mobile app
    Interestingly enough..

In the early days of the sport among the upper echelons of British society, the proper term for the sport was “Soccer”. Not only that, but the sport being referred to as “Soccer” preceded the first recorded instance of it being called by the singular word “Football” by about 18 years, with the latter happening when it became more popular with the middle and lower class. When that happened, the term “Football” gradually began dominating over “Soccer” and the then official name “Association Football”.

Quote Originally Posted by elle:
    In most countries a championship/cup where teams of only one nation compete in, like the NBA, is not called a 'World Series' and the winners are not 'World Champions'.

The champions of overwhelmingly British sports like conkers or cheese rolling or bog snorkelling make no claim to be world champions based purely on the assumption that no one conkers, bogsnorkels or cheeserolls quite as well as the Brits.

BTW, the US actually does have a team that really have been world champions several times - the women's national soccer team.

In NBA basketball, there are 92 different players from 39 different countries (2013 season). The "world champions" San Antonio spurs had 10 foreign players, representing 7 different countries!!! The best basketball players in the world come and play in the USA.
    So I think it is completely fair to call the NBA champions..."world champions"

http://www.nba.com/global/nba_tips_o...013_10_29.html

In Major League Baseball about 26% or 224 of the players are foreign born representing 16 different countries. Again, many of the best players in the world come and play in the US.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...r_mlb&c_id=mlb

So this isn't at all like conkers, bogsnorkels or cheese rolls.

The NBA and MLB are far and away the premier leagues for their sports and they attract best talent from around the globe.

Calling the champions of these leagues " world champions " seems logical to me because they attract the top talent in the world. There are no other leagues anywhere in the world for baseball or basketball that even come close to the talent level in the NBA & MLB
    Last edited by closedcasket; 28-06-2014 at 08:18 AM.
    Watercooler likes this.

Can we not turn this great thread into another US one?

Give us ur winners for quarter final CC.

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    In NBA basketball, there are 92 different players from 39 different countries (2013 season). The "world champions" San Antonio spurs had 10 foreign players, representing 7 different countries!!! The best basketball players in the world come and play in the USA.
    So I think it is completely fair to call the NBA champions..."world champions"

http://www.nba.com/global/nba_tips_o...013_10_29.html

In Major League Baseball about 26% or 224 of the players are foreign born representing 16 different countries. Again, many of the best players in the world come and play in the US.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...r_mlb&c_id=mlb

So this isn't at all like conkers, bogsnorkels or cheese rolls.

The NBA and MLB are far and away the premier leagues for their sports and they attract best talent from around the globe.

Calling the champions of these leagues " world champions " seems logical to me because they attract the top talent in the world. There are no other leagues anywhere in the world for baseball or basketball that even come close to the talent level in the NBA & MLB
    The English Premier League has plenty of international players too, yet they don't declare themselves world champions, neither does Spain's La Liga or or Germany's Bundesliga.
    statman likes this.