Like Tree868Likes

2014 FiFA Worldcup Discussions

Page 116 of 196 FirstFirst ... 108 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 124 ... LastLast

2014 FiFA Worldcup Discussions

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    You must be joking right? Basketball is damn popular around the world. Why do you think there are so many international players in the NBA otherwise? Baseball a little less so, but is still played by many countries around the world, and is especially popular around the Caribbean, some South American countries and Japan, South Korea and Taiwan.

Just because its not a sport invented by the Brits does not mean it is not globally popular.
    Ok, fair enough. Basketball is popular but nowhere near as popular as football. As for baseball, you do know the original form was invented by the English, right?

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks
    Last edited by statman; 28-06-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by statman:
    Ok, fair enough. Basketball is popular (mainly for playing rather than watching) but nowhere near as popular as football. As for baseball, you do know the original form was invented by the English, right?

Oh don't get me started on that whole "whether-rounders-was-ancestry-to-baseball" debate, we'll go on for 30 pages on that. Let's just say that matter is not settled and there are good arguments for saying rounders did not create baseball.

Speaking of the Americans, I am increasingly rooting for them to go far in this World Cup. Probably won't get too far, but I hope they do, hahaha.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 28-06-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by statman:
    Probably because baseball and basketball are really not all that popular outside the US yet football is the most popular sport by far in almost every other country in the world!!

By your logic, the winners of the European Champions League should be called World Series champions as these are the best players in the world competing for the trophy!

Basketball is very popular outside the US and so is baseball. Baseball is very popular in latin America, South America and some Asian nations. I'm guessing you are from Europe where baseball isn't really played?

And as far as the European Champions League...if they are clearly, undoubtably and inarguably the best league, with the best players in the WORLD, then I don't see why they couldn't choose to call themself "world champions"

I still don't see the big deal with leagues like the NBA and MLB calling the winner World Champions....they clearly and undoubtably are the best in world at that sport. No one disputes that. So the winner every year...is the best team in the world. That is a fact.

I can't even tell you what league would be second to the NBA or MLB...they are so far behind in talent.
    Last edited by closedcasket; 28-06-2014 at 11:40 AM.
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Basketball is very popular outside the US and so is baseball. Baseball is very popular in latin America, South America and some Asian nations. I'm guessing you are from Europe where baseball isn't really played?

And as far as the European Champions League...if they are clearly, undoubtably and inarguably the best league, with the best players in the WORLD, then I don't see why they couldn't choose to call themself "world champions"

I still don't see the big deal with leagues like the NBA and MLB calling the winning World Champions....they clearly and undoubtably are the best in world at that sport. No one disputes that.

I can't even tell you what league would be second to the NBA or MLB...they are so far behind in talent.
    Just drop it already. The USA is not the centre of the world.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using GeoClicks mobile app
    justjoe86 and statman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:

Neither is Europe for that matter.

See how many traditional European powers are sent packing in this World Cup?

In any case, CC never claimed the US was the center of the world.
    closedcasket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom007:
    True not many but they did believe right from the start. Think the US team has an incredible spirit with a very strong believe. Sounds stereotype and won't help always but check out I.e. Ghana, Portugal. Some top class players but it didn't work. Don't want to mention Pepe here but we all know why the game ended 0:4 vs Germany and that score line was decisive at the end. Well and Ghana?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...teng-suspended

For the USA it ain't over yet and they certainly have their chances vs Belgium. That's not an uber team by any means and it's only one single game. No second chance. Just have read that Vincent Kompany and Thomas Vermaelen are doubtful. That would be a major blow and would surely help the USA a big deal.

I agree, and its looking more and more like Jozy Altidore could play for the US, that would be a big boost.

win or lose the US has down well under Klinsmann and he is under contract until 2018. Klinsmann really has US soccer going in the right direction.
    Tom007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:

sure no one said the US is, but MLB and the NBA are the center of the world for their respective sports...

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Neither is Europe for that matter.

See how many traditional European powers are sent packing in this World Cup?

In any case, CC never claimed the US was the center of the world.
    Not saying it is. That would be China. One China, One Love!

Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    sure no one said the US is, but MLB and the NBA are the center of the world for their respective sports...
    I've had several spirited, barroom conversations about where the center of football/soccer world is . . . or more specifically, which league is best.

Yes Altidore's return would be boost. Fingers crossed :-) Klinsmann and the US that simply works. Although he is a foreign coach he is well respected and adapted pretty well. He understands the culture, the way of life, the mentality and so on. Think that's absolute crucial for having success. He isn't a stranger at all and its not only about football and coaching. Most people in Germany like him and I think he is a great ambassador. Similar to Bernhard Langer, different characters though.