Like Tree868Likes

2014 FiFA Worldcup Discussions

Page 66 of 196 FirstFirst ... 58 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 74 ... LastLast

2014 FiFA Worldcup Discussions

Well put Mat and it's a circle like in real life. Brazil, Germany, Italy ( all multiple World Champions ) had incredible lows for quite some time but more or less fully recovered. Speaking of France, it looks like LES BLEUS are on the road to recovery after a long slump and no fan will ever forget the players revolt 2010. The mother of all madness :-(

Now it's Spain facing a transition period. It's pretty painful and it certainly hurts, especially for the fans, and can last for a while, but it's necessary. Few weeks ago 2 Spanish teams met in the CL final, the pinnacle of European football. One month later it's a very different story. It's a new start :-)

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Last edited by Tom007; 19-06-2014 at 03:05 PM.
    iliketurtles and Mat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Someone get Watercooler his amnesia tablets.

One of the most defining moments of Euro 96:

I know. UK vs UK was such a great match!

Yes. you're finally getting it...

It is a bit like me referring constantly to Canada as 'Northern America'.
    Not exactly...Canada and US are different sovereign countries, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are not independent sovereign countries, they just happen to have the right to be represented by their own sport teams. Like how HK has their own sport representation separate from the Chinese mainland.

Claire-As for the gloating, I half-suspect quite a number of Scots would be gloating to see England lose....
    Last edited by Watercooler; 19-06-2014 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Because to win, you need skill but also HUNGER.

And when in 6 years the same players (more or less) have won 2 European Cups and one World Cup, the Hunger is not here anymore.

France did the same. Great Euro 96 (3rd) / WC 98 (winner) and Euro 00 (winner) and then they crashed bad in 2002.

The only teams that manage (sort of) to go thru these low phases quicker are Brazil, Germany and Italy.

I'd beg to differ.

Spain's success in recent times was down to the core of theirs players (Xavi, Villa, Iniesta, and likes of Fabregas on the fringes) playing their own tiki-taka system and closing down the opposition up the field.

With the likes of several of these players either not at the top of their game anymore (not getting playing time for the clubs, or aging like Xavi), its the fringe players who have arguably more to prove coming in (The likes of Cazorla who has WC medals but hasn't really played). These players do not play this tiki-taka system and are not used to pressing high up the pitch. Coupled that with playing probably their best player, Iniesta, out of position for the majority of the match, and 3 defensively minded midfields, Busquets, Martinez and Alonso (aging as well), then its easy to see why they didn't do well.

Look at Casillas, he shouldn't even be in the 1st XI with the lack of performances for Real, and how he's performed in the last 2 seasons. Reina must be kicking himself in not getting to play.
    iliketurtles likes this.

Finally I managed to get around to predicting and Claire you'll do well by following me here if you want to loose.
    Greece win
    England win
    Draw

All valid points, Proplus. But you'd think even that Spain first eleven should beat Holland and Chile, and not come out of the -6 GD and 0 points.

I suppose we saw signs of this kind of thing coming when Bayern Munich destroyed Barcelona 7-0 over two legs in last year's champions league. Then this season Barca were a shadow of their former selves, capitulating in La Liga.

With such a correlation between Spain and Barcelona's success, it does kind of fit in neatly, especially given the way a certain Arjen Robben tore through them both.

iliketurtles and Mat like this.

L'Allemagne vs le Ghana on a Sunday morning,supah

Last edited by Morrison; 19-06-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    Finally I managed to get around to predicting and Claire you'll do well by following me here if you want to loose.
    Greece win
    England win
    Draw
    Win, draw, lose... it's too easy. I'm going for getting the scores wrong, whilst making quite reasonable predictions. I must say, I'm getting quite good at it.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Claire-As for the gloating, I half-suspect quite a number of Scots would be gloating to see England lose....
    England has the pre-gloat gloat. We made it there.

Talking of 'there', where is Trance? He should stay on Hong Kong time.

First time I've done this, but wow this thread just got better.

This message is hidden because Watercooler is on your ignore list.
    Now for my predictions.

Uruguay 1-1 England
    Colombia 2-1 Ivory Coast
    Japan 2-1 Greece
    elle likes this.

Page 66 of 196 FirstFirst ... 58 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 74 ... LastLast