Like Tree868Likes

2014 FiFA Worldcup Discussions

Reply
Page 76 of 196 FirstFirst ... 68 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 84 ... LastLast
  1. #751

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,913

    Don't worry Guns, just claim you're 9 for 9 and no one will question you!


  2. #752

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,913

    Have you been watching the matches? England have been playing just fine. They've actually been playing, which is a life changing experience for most of them. They're just not better than Uruguay or Italy (or perhaps even Costa Rica).


  3. #753

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,112

    I'm not gloating here, honest question to all you English supporters, ask yourselves, given the way the English have played so far, even if they somehow get into the next round, are they going to last long there? Not if they played the way they have..

    Which brings me to another question, again, honest, not gloating. Why does your national team always played so lousy on the world stage? Your Premier league has some of the best football on the planet. It should have been an excellent training ground. But no, the moment your players leave their club teams and join the national team, things immediately head south. Why?


  4. #754

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    14,663

    2014 FiFA Worldcup Discussions

    Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    If I have done my maths correctly, Italy need to win both their remaining games for England to have a chance. I think it is possible (certainly more possible than your stupid Elvis example), but I don't actually think it would be fair on Costa Rica or Uruguay if England snook through. Both those teams would contribute more to the next round.
    You did the maths right ( of course ) Thanks turtles. They ain't out yet. Let's wait and see.

    Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks
    iliketurtles likes this.

  5. #755

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,112
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    Have you been watching the matches? England have been playing just fine. They've actually been playing, which is a life changing experience for most of them. They're just not better than Uruguay or Italy (or perhaps even Costa Rica).
    So...just down to rotten luck? I don't buy that. If one look at their players on paper, they should have a decent chance of beating both Italy and Uruguay. The fact they haven't does raise questions about them.

    The English defence is really lousy btw, again and again, they gave Uruguay opportunities.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 20-06-2014 at 09:53 AM.

  6. #756

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    I'm not gloating here, honest question to all you English supporters, ask yourselves, given the way the English have played so far, even if they somehow get into the next round, are they going to last long there? Not if they played the way they have..

    Which brings me to another question, again, honest, not gloating. Why does your national team always played so lousy on the world stage? Your Premier league has some of the best football on the planet. It should have been an excellent training ground. But no, the moment your players leave their club teams and join the national team, things immediately head south. Why?
    I'll bite.

    I'd be amazed if anyone from Group D made much impact at this WC. It's a poor group. The only saving grace is that Group C is even worse so the two from Group D might get through to the quarters.

    As for the PL, there's no coincidence that the best players in the PL are not English.
    Watercooler likes this.

  7. #757

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    I'm not gloating here, honest question to all you English supporters, ask yourselves, given the way the English have played so far, even if they somehow get into the next round, are they going to last long there? Not if they played the way they have..

    Which brings me to another question, again, honest, not gloating. Why does your national team always played so lousy on the world stage? Your Premier league has some of the best football on the planet. It should have been an excellent training ground. But no, the moment your players leave their club teams and join the national team, things immediately head south. Why?
    Simply because in the PL most of the best players are not english.

    Most are Italians, Spanish, French, Germans. Etc etc. There are a few good english palyers (rooney etc) but the majority of the great PL players are non english. Why? Because the PL is attractive. Why? cos great marketing, huge amount of $ and lower taxes.

    So the best players go there (and to a lesser extend Spain and Italy).

    (and the english team never quite had a proper goal keeper I have to say).

  8. #758

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    So...just down to rotten luck? I don't buy that. If one look at their players on paper, they should have a decent chance of beating both Italy and Uruguay. The fact they haven't does raise questions about them.

    The English defence is really lousy btw, again and again, they gave Uruguay opportunities.
    On paper, only Steven Gerrard is one of the best players at his club. Rooney would like to think so too but clearly he isn't. The rest of the players might play for the big English teams but they're not operating at the same level as the best players at their clubs. So it isn't luck at all. It's operating at your level which is what England are doing. That's fine by me.

    Let's not exaggerate. Uruguay only had 3/4 chances the whole game and they took two of them.

  9. #759

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    14,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    If Italy and costa rica draw (possible), then england is out
    If Italy wins against Costa Rica, then England still have a chance if they beat Coast Rica and Italy beats Uruguay (possible)

    All english should wish for Italy to win tonight.
    That's the spirit Mat and for the sake of our fella Trance and the other fans over there, maybe it will happen :-)


    Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

  10. #760

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Posts
    14,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Don't want to jinx myself but I am now... what... 7 for 7? Anyway, in my continuing attempt to be wrong with respectable predictions, for tonight's games:

    Colombia vs Ivory Coast 2:1
    Japan vs Greece 1:0

    And in the hope that England pull their finger out...

    Uruguay vs England 1:2

    Bugger! Bugger! Bugger!

    Broke my streak; got one right.

    Bugger!

Reply
Page 76 of 196 FirstFirst ... 68 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 84 ... LastLast