Like Tree868Likes

2014 FiFA Worldcup Discussions

Page 77 of 196 FirstFirst ... 69 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 85 ... LastLast

OK I'm not a HUGE football fan, but I do read / follow it in the passing. My very layman attitude about the PL is that it used to be really good with all the best foreign players going there. However I now get the impression Spain and Italy seem to have better leagues.

Or shall I just go back to the rock I came out of?

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    I'll bite.

I'd be amazed if anyone from Group D made much impact at this WC. It's a poor group. The only saving grace is that Group C is even worse so the two from Group D might get through to the quarters.

As for the PL, there's no coincidence that the best players in the PL are not English.
    True. One could indeed argue that the best PL players are not English. Even so, I would have guess the English players at least got plenty of exposure to the way some of the Continental Europeans and South Americans play in the PL and can think of counter-strategies. Or maybe they did came up with strategies, but it just didn't work...

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    OK I'm not a HUGE football fan, but I do read / follow it in the passing. My very layman attitude about the PL is that it used to be really good with all the best foreign players going there. However I now get the impression Spain and Italy seem to have better leagues.

The Italian league is recovering from a major corruption scandal. They are getting out of the gutter but it took them some time. They used to be THE main league but lost that title to the PL over a decade ago.

The Spanish League - 3/4 great clubs -> the rest not so much.
    iliketurtles likes this.

On paper, only Steven Gerrard is one of the best players at his club. Rooney would like to think so too but clearly he isn't. The rest of the players might play for the big English teams but they're not operating at the same level as the best players at their clubs. So it isn't luck at all. It's operating at your level which is what England are doing. That's fine by me.

Let's not exaggerate. Uruguay only had 3/4 chances the whole game and they took two of them.
    Hehehe. So even you admit the English are rather crappy compared to the competition in this group...

Quote Originally Posted by pin:

You're half right.

The absolute best players now play in Spain (i..e the very best two... Messi and Ronaldo).

The vast majority of the next tier down from those two gods play in the PL. Some still play in Spain though - e.g. Bale, Modric, Iniesta. But the PL has RVP, Hazard, Yaya, Silva, Cazorla, Ozil etc etc.

Italy is in an unshakeable slump and has been for many years. The Bundesliga is more competitive than Serie A.

There's a couple of outstanding players in the French league but, as a league, it's still very poor. A couple of rich Sheikhs are trying to change that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    True. One could indeed argue that the best PL players are not English. Even so, I would have guess the English players at least got plenty of exposure to the way some of the Continental Europeans and South Americans play in the PL and can think of counter-strategies. Or maybe they did came up with strategies, but it just didn't work...
    The average english player in the the england team is simply not as good as your average german player in the german team (for example).

Simple, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Hehehe. So even you admit the English are rather crappy compared to the competition in this group...
    Watercooler, I mean this sincerely but you're the only one (maybe on other, too) with a hard on for England. Look at the England fans on this thread. No one is even close to claiming they're amazing. I'd like to think we're better than Costa Rica and Uruguay, but the reality is that maybe we're not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    The average english player in the the england team is simply not as good as your average german player in the german team (for example).

Simple, no?
    So they just sucked compared to the competition.

So I'm not wrong when I say they are crappy then?

There's a couple of outstanding players in the French league but, as a league, it's still very poor. A couple of rich Sheikhs are trying to change that though.
    It's headig the same way as Spain. 2 clubs with very very deep pockets (PSG and Monaco) who can buy the likes of Zlatan etc and the rest of the league is nowhere to be seen.

Taxes remain a major issue in France.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    The Italian league is recovering from a major corruption scandal. They are getting out of the gutter but it took them some time. They used to be THE main league but lost that title to the PL over a decade ago.

The Spanish League - 3/4 great clubs -> the rest not so much.
    More like 2 decades ago - pretty much with the inception of the PL.
    Watercooler likes this.

Page 77 of 196 FirstFirst ... 69 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 85 ... LastLast