Like Tree868Likes

2014 FiFA Worldcup Discussions

Reply
Page 96 of 196 FirstFirst ... 88 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 104 ... LastLast
  1. #951

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,040

    I can't believe what I'm reading about the USA and their chances to move on....most people are acting like the US is still in very good shape to advance and it would be a surprise if they didn't. Nonsense. I'm saying there is about a 30% chance of them advancing and 70% not. I think Germany and Ghana move on..




    In order for them to move on they have to beat or tie Germany....very unlikely.


    Or they need Portugal to beat or tie Ghana....which I also feel is very unlikely.


    (a few other odd scenarios I didn't lay out, but that is basically it)


  2. #952

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    8,318
    Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    I can't believe what I'm reading about the USA and their chances to move on....most people are acting like the US is still in very good shape to advance and it would be a surprise if they didn't. Nonsense. I'm saying there is about a 30% chance of them advancing and 70% not. I think Germany and Ghana move on..




    In order for them to move on they have to beat or tie Germany....very unlikely.


    Or they need Portugal to beat or tie Ghana....which I also feel is very unlikely.


    (a few other odd scenarios I didn't lay out, but that is basically it)


    USA is in with a win or a draw vs. Germany.
    USA is in with a loss in the following scenarios:
    -Ghana and Portugal draw
    -Portugal wins and has a < goal differential than the U.S.
    -Ghana wins and has a < goal differential than the U.S.

    Here are the scenarios for the U.S. getting pipped:

    If the United States loses, Ghana would qualify instead if either game is decided by a margin of two goals or more. If the U.S. loses by one goal, Ghana would need to win by two goals or be involved in a higher-scoring one-goal win. For instance, a 1-0 scoreline in both games would put the United States through on head-to-head. So, if the U.S. loses 1-0, then Ghana must win 2-1 to qualify on goals scored.

    To surpass the U.S., Portugal will need a goal-difference swing of five (head-to-head is level). So for instance, Portugal would need to win 3-0 and U.S. lose 2-0, among other equivalent scorelines. The teams will draw lots if goal difference is identical (this would happen with a 3-0 U.S. defeat and a 2-0 Portugal win, for example).

    So the long and short of the situation is that the U.S. needs only be concerned with the score in their own match vs. Germany. Ghana and Portugal have to win and hope for certain results in the U.S./Germany match.
    usehername and Tom007 like this.

  3. #953

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,040
    Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    USA is in with a win or a draw vs. Germany.
    USA is in with a loss in the following scenarios:
    -Ghana and Portugal draw
    -Portugal wins and has a < goal differential than the U.S.
    -Ghana wins and has a < goal differential than the U.S.

    Here are the scenarios for the U.S. getting pipped:

    If the United States loses, Ghana would qualify instead if either game is decided by a margin of two goals or more. If the U.S. loses by one goal, Ghana would need to win by two goals or be involved in a higher-scoring one-goal win. For instance, a 1-0 scoreline in both games would put the United States through on head-to-head. So, if the U.S. loses 1-0, then Ghana must win 2-1 to qualify on goals scored.

    To surpass the U.S., Portugal will need a goal-difference swing of five (head-to-head is level). So for instance, Portugal would need to win 3-0 and U.S. lose 2-0, among other equivalent scorelines. The teams will draw lots if goal difference is identical (this would happen with a 3-0 U.S. defeat and a 2-0 Portugal win, for example).

    So the long and short of the situation is that the U.S. needs only be concerned with the score in their own match vs. Germany. Ghana and Portugal have to win and hope for certain results in the U.S./Germany match.
    Exactly right, but I would say there is a very good chance of Germany beating us by 2 or more goals and Ghana beating Portugal easily as well.

    Despite fate being in our own hands, I would say the odds favor Germany and Ghana moving on.

    Ghana and Germany playing to a tie really opened the whole group up. Either way, I do think this is the best group. I watched every match and honestly Portugal looks like the weakest team (due to injuries I know)

  4. #954

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,478

    Not sure why you think Ghana are such big favourites to beat Portugal.

    The bookies have Portugal as favourites.

    Also Germany need a draw to win the group. I doubt they'll be going all guns blazing for a big win

    Also the bookies give you odds of 1/4 for USA to progress, but 6/1 for Ghana. So, CC, I suggest you put a few hundred dollars on Ghana to qualify!

    $400 on USA returns $500
    $400 on Ghana returns $2800

    Actually I'm even tempted now haha

    Sent from my SGP511 using GeoClicks mobile app

    Last edited by justjoe86; 24-06-2014 at 12:04 AM.
    Tom007 likes this.

  5. #955

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    14,822

    2014 FiFA Worldcup Discussions

    Halftime Netherlands vs Chile 0:0. Missed the first half :-(

    Last edited by Tom007; 24-06-2014 at 01:04 AM.

  6. #956

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    14,822

    @ closedcasket :-) Of course the USA in a much better position than Ghana. Just check the standings. That's no guarantee but still in the driving seat. Ghana vs Portugal totally open. Definitely no pushover for the ' Black Stars' whatsoever - in fact quite the opposite.


    Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks


    Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks


  7. #957

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    14,822

    Netherlands in front at last. Goal scorer Fer 78'


    Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks


  8. #958

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    14,822

    Late goal for the Dutch 2:0! Game over.

    Australia vs Spain 0:3
    Netherlands vs Chile 2:0

    1 Netherlands 9
    2 Chile 6
    3 Spain 3
    4 Australia 0


    Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

    iliketurtles likes this.

  9. #959

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    8,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom007:
    Late goal for the Dutch 2:0! Game over.

    Australia vs Spain 0:3
    Netherlands vs Chile 2:0

    1 Netherlands 9
    2 Chile 6
    3 Spain 3
    4 Australia 0


    Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks
    Any one take the action last week when you could get 25-1 for the Dutch winning the World Cup?

  10. #960

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    25,576

    Take on the world cup from a 7 year old girl: "I like the singing (anthems) it is the best bit". Where did I go wrong with her upbringing?

    iliketurtles likes this.

Reply
Page 96 of 196 FirstFirst ... 88 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 104 ... LastLast