Like Tree9Likes

The thread for people who care about American sports like baseball and American football

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The thread for people who care about American sports like baseball and American football

Here you go guys. Chat to your heart's content about the American world series in here.

Sent from my GT-S5301 using GeoClicks mobile app

justjoe86 09:20 AM Today
    By this logic of saying the winners of the US league are world champions, couldn't we rename the world cup as the Milky Way Cup?

Sure the US league might be the best but it is hilariously American to hype up the name to something more than it is.

Sent from my GT-S5301 using GeoClicks mobile app

Here, I'll start by moving your own "off topic" comments over to this thread where they belong

Indeed, a number of us got pulled off tangent so that's why I thought I'd start a new one rather than ruining Tom's.

Sent from my SGP511 using GeoClicks mobile app

Anyway I'll continue the debate. It is called the World Series because the best players from around the world go there, right? But how long has it been called the world series? I was under the impression it was a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    It is called the World Series because the best players from around the world go there, right?
    Maybe they should invite some participation from other countries in the 'world'.
    elle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Anyway I'll continue the debate. It is called the World Series because the best players from around the world go there, right? But how long has it been called the world series? I was under the impression it was a very long time.

The only debate or point I was making, was in reply to another posters comment that calling the winner of the MLB or the NBA "world champion" was arrogant or wrong. I don't see why that is? They clearly are the best teams in the world......no one would argue that.

People should focus not on where the games are being played...but rather on the fact that the best players play in the league. The NBA and MLB sign the best athletes in the world regardless of location. When the spurs won the NBA Championship last year, that makes them the best team in the world...right? So why not call them world champions?
    Last edited by closedcasket; 28-06-2014 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRotavator:
    Maybe they should invite some participation from other countries in the 'world'.

They do...roughly 28% of major league baseball players are not from the USA.

Canada has a baseball team.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    They do...roughly 28% of major league baseball players are not from the USA.

Canada has a baseball team.
    Well that would make the winners of the premier league world champions because most of the players are not from England
    elle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Well that would make the winners of the premier league world champions because most of the players are not from England

wow, we really are re-hashing this thread

The difference (I think, although I admit I don't know a lot about football) is that there are other leagues that might take offence to the winner of the premier league calling themself world champions because the leagues in Italy, Germany, Spain etc are pretty good too.....

If the premeir league was inarguably and undisputedly the best football league in the world...then I suppose sure, you could call the winner of that league world champions. But I don't think the Premier league is that far ahead of the other leagues around the world....at least not to the extent that the NBA is better then the next best league or MLB is better than the next best league.

The NBA and MLB are leagues that have no rivals. They stand so far above the next best league that it is within rights and reason to say that the winner is World Champion. The NBA and MLB inarguably have the best talent of any league in their respective sport. Thus I don't really see what the big objection is to saying the winner of the MLB and NBA championship is the "World Champion". They undisputably are the best team in the world. No would argue against that.
    Last edited by closedcasket; 28-06-2014 at 04:01 PM.

In a hypothetical situation where a Chinese billionaire brought a load of superstars to China to make a very good baseball team, would they have any chance to take part in the World Series?

It is quite presumptuous to say the US teams are the best in the world, with no room for argument. Perhaps this is exactly why these American sports haven't flourished elsewhere. Football was opened up to the world and it has grown exponentially.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast