Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By jgl
  • 1 Post By jgl

buddy/suggestions for learning surfing

buddy/suggestions for learning surfing

I'm thinking about learning surfing this summer. Anyone interested as well?
    I can only swim in pools (beginner level),but the surfing school in Sai Kong said the swimming skills are not that important as the first few lessons will be in shallow water.
    Hope to find learning buddies or suggestions here, thanks!

A couple of points against this idea, as someone who kept a board up in Tai Long Wan for several years.

• Hong Kong doesn't have waves worth surfing most of the year.
    • If you can't swim in the ocean, no way should you be learning to surf. If you're out on the water and you get separated from your board, you are in really, really deep shit.

If you want a water sport over summer, think about dragonboating instead. At least that way if you capsize, it's with a bunch of other people and a big floating boat.

Or play with a boogie board in the shallow water at Big Wave Bay.
    Last edited by jgl; 01-07-2014 at 11:44 PM.
    Skyhook likes this.

Thanks jgl, this is very helpful. Think I would learn open water swimming first this summer

Just take a boogie board to Big Wave Bay. Lots of people there use them and it's safe as you stay close to the shore. The good thing about these boards is you don't even need decent waves to use them.

Surfing is one of those activities that sounds really 'cool' and is great in the right place. HK just isn't the right place for it. Learning to surf in HK is like going to Switzerland for the Chinese food. Sure, you can do it it, but there are much better things to be doing instead.

mylhk and Vesta like this.