Heart rate monitor

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

GillesHK, What do I do with my max heart rate once I know it??

My trainer gave me a basic formula of 180 minus my age. I should keep at that level for increasing lengths of time to develop my cardiovascular performance. Is there any way to get this fugure more exact?

I plan to go around some of the shops this weekend and see what's out there. New Balance online seems to be reasonable and I really don't want to buy an all singing one until I have tried out this method of training. I'm thinking under $1000 for my first one. I'll check out Sigma too.

California Fitness in Central sell a range of watch ones from I think about 600 to 1000 or so.

They also sell a cheaper basic ring version but I thought it didn't look too practical. For starters I think it was too big for my fingers and would fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by goodbye kitty:
    GillesHK, What do I do with my max heart rate once I know it??

My trainer gave me a basic formula of 180 minus my age. I should keep at that level for increasing lengths of time to develop my cardiovascular performance. Is there any way to get this fugure more exact?
    What is the 180-age supposed to be? A max or a target heart rate of some sort? Either way, it sounds like a very non-standard and generic formula which to me would be a huge warning sign about the quality of your trainer. No personal trainer worth his salt should default to something so crude.

The test that Giles recommends is fairly easy to do and much more accurate (though be careful if you have any cardiac problems).

I've used HRMs in the past, and found that for me, the simplest ones were the best. All I need is for the HRM to show current heart rate. I'd suggest you start really, really cheap and if you find that you need more functions then buy something more advanced.
    Last edited by jgl; 15-08-2008 at 12:35 PM.

If you're going to buy one, go for one with a chest strap and you won't regret buying a Polar even if it's a bit more expensive.

One of the formulas commonly used for maximum heart rate is 220-age. The formula he gave you is roughly equivalent to working at around 70% of your maximum heart rate which is adequate for an average workout.

If you're doing Mcdonald training(fast food for everyone) there's nothing wrong with it. If you want more out of your training session and you actually pay a trainer, I think you should demand a bit more.

If you have no medical problem, you'll want to do a proper fitness evaluation which will give you your maximum heart rate and a good estimation of your VO2 Max(aerobic capacity). Then your workout should be varied and include intervals, long slow distance and steady state work which will be at different intensities to allow you to recuperate and improve.

Here's a website with a brief explanation of the different zones. That's what your trainer should be explaining to you...

Taking your resting heart rate when you wake up is also an excellent measure of health. It tells you whether you are recuperating enough and if you can develop a lower trend, it would also mean you are getting fitter, more relaxed and healthy. When someone is sick, the heart rate tends to go up a little bit. Keeping a training journal is also motivating and helpful, it allows you to see your progression and track your best performances.

Firstly, in defense of my 'trainer', I do not pay him for personal training, I'm in a circuit training class that he takes and he was giving me some after-the-session advice to improve, so I don't expect a full assessment. The idea was to work at a lower heart rate than I do in the class since I get out of breath quite quickly and seem to be working too hard (heart wise) in my sessions (I'm about 25lbs overweight too). I can't afford a PT at the moment so I guess the cookie cutter formula will have to work but if I can tailor something myself, I'll be happy with that.

Currently I run twice a week (one short, one longer), do 2 cicuit training classes and one session of weights but I think I need some lower intensity work to build my aerobic fitness. My breathing is getting better while running but the circuit training is more anaerobic type work (weights and sprints).

Thanks again for all the advice. Sadly, the link didn't seem to work, would you mind re-posting?

Heart Rate Training Zones

Training is a very peculiar thing. Some people think they are working too hard because they're simply not used to that kind of exercise, others work too hard and can't sustain long enough to get real benefit or find themselves too tired to be able to replicate it all the time. Hence the reason for heart rate training but as i said, it loses a lot of its effectiveness if your heart rate doesn't happen to fit the formula which is quite common. By going middle of the road at 70%, it tends to be fairly safe because if you're a little above and a little below it's not too bad.

By the way, if you're looking for weight reduction more than cardiovascular then it's preferable to do longer exercise at a lower heart rate. When you exercise at lower heart rate, the body is able to metabolize some fat for energy which is a lot more difficult at higher intensity.

Circuit training for example isn't the most effective for weight reduction, you'd be better off cycling or power walking for an hour. It doesn't mean it's a bad thing to do, everything has a purpose and nothing can achieve all the best results. Specificity of training is very important and for that, it's important to set goals with priorities in mind and then adapt your training accordingly. So many people go through the motions without any clue as to what they want to achieve. It's also hard to maintain your motivation that way. Training for a marathon is very different than training for the 100m sprint.

OP, just to add to GillesHK's excellent advice, the 220 minus your age for max heart rate is a pretty generic way of measuring things. It dosen't take into account individual levels of fitness, genetics etc etc. I'm in my mid 30s and I regularly work past 195. A better indication of cardiovascular fitness is your recovery rate and VO2 Max.

Best thing to use your heart rate monitor is to understand your body by monitoring your heart rate while you exercise, e.g how long can you sustain a certain level of performance so you can achieve your exercise goals. Try to find out your aerobic, anaerobic and red line zones (dont push too hard to get to red line if you are new to exercise initially).

If you are aiming for weight reduction, you will want to burn fat at an aerobic level which involves low intensity training for a much longer period. This is at a zone where you are slightly puffed but not in discomfort with your breathing. The heart rate monitor will help you know when you are working at this zone. There are lots of online calculators like the following link
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm
    which allows you to get an idea based on your age, weight, height etc, and some polar models calculate this for you as well.

But ultimately listen to your body, if you are finding a level of intensity unsustainable, then most probably you have moved out of aerobic to anaerobic or more. Best of luck with your training and enjoy the fruits of a healthy body !

anyone know if there is a store in HK selling the iphone heart rate monitor key/sensors?
    specifically im looking for:
    Wahoo Fitness Fisica Fitness Sensor Key
    Wahoo Fitness Soft Heart Rate Belt