spin class shoes - any suggestion ?

spin class shoes - any suggestion ?

Anyone here wearing spin shoes when doing spin class ? Which brand can you recommend and where to get them ? Unable to find any retail shop on google search.

Thanks !

Wearing cycling-specific shoes for a spin class sounds a little over the top to me. I thought the point of a spin class is just aerobic excercise, it's not like you're racing anyone but yourself. It's not even useful cycle training as the geometry of a spin bike is really weird and they come with 165mm cranks which are only found on 'real' bicycles if you're really short. So it's useful for a workout, but you don't need to spend money on special gear that will make you ride your stationary bike any faster.

Anyway, if you are set on buying cleated shoes for a spin class, get mountain bike SPD shoes. Preferably the ones that look the closest as possible to normal trainers. Road shoes are slippery to walk in and will make you look like a complete dork, 'high performance' mountain biking shoes have hard narrow soles which are also not great for walking. You want low-end mountain biking shoes with flexible soles.

Flying Ball in Lai Chi Kok probably has the best range of lower-end shoes. I think they carry Northwave/Shimano, but brand is really not important. Or if you're on Lantau then Friendly Bikes in Mui Wo probably has a decent selection.

Anyway, consider carefully why you'd want cycle shoes for a spin class. I've never known any cyclists who've bothered.

Edit: You might also want to confirm that your gym even has enough spin bikes with cleated pedals. In the gyms that I have seen, there are only a handful of bikes in a studio that will work with cleats.

Last edited by jgl; 05-07-2014 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Wearing cycling-specific shoes for a spin class sounds a little over the top to me. I thought the point of a spin class is just aerobic excercise, it's not like you're racing anyone but yourself. It's not even useful cycle training as the geometry of a spin bike is really weird and they come with 165mm cranks which are only found on 'real' bicycles if you're really short. So it's useful for a workout, but you don't need to spend money on special gear that will make you ride your stationary bike any faster.

Anyway, if you are set on buying cleated shoes for a spin class, get mountain bike SPD shoes. Preferably the ones that look the closest as possible to normal trainers. Road shoes are slippery to walk in and will make you look like a complete dork, 'high performance' mountain biking shoes have hard narrow soles which are also not great for walking. You want low-end mountain biking shoes with flexible soles.

Flying Ball in Lai Chi Kok probably has the best range of lower-end shoes. I think they carry Northwave/Shimano, but brand is really not important. Or if you're on Lantau then Friendly Bikes in Mui Wo probably has a decent selection.

Anyway, consider carefully why you'd want cycle shoes for a spin class. I've never known any cyclists who've bothered.

Edit: You might also want to confirm that your gym even has enough spin bikes with cleated pedals. In the gyms that I have seen, there are only a handful of bikes in a studio that will work with cleats.
    I know quite a lot of cyclists (and triathletes) who use cycle shoes for spin - and a plenty of non-cyclists who spin who also find using cycle shoes more beneficial than using normal trainers. If you spin on a regular basis, normal trainers are not particularly comfortable to wear. It's also likely that you'll experience an increase in your power when using cycle shoes. (I certainly do)

As for most gym's spin bikes not being equipped for cleated shoes, again I have the opposite experience. I've only ever been to one studio (in HK) where the spin bikes weren't fitted for SPD cleats. The bikes in Pure and Fitness First are, as are the bikes at Torq. XYZ studio's bikes are all fitted for Look Keo cleats which I find to be an irritating choice by them (and I suspect it's just another way of making money / keeping their "hardcore" customer base loyal to their studio....no skipping off and spinning at Torq unless you want to change your cleats). You can rent cycle shoes for your session at XYZ at $20 per time.

Personally I recommend Torq if you're looking for a decent spin studio on a pay as you go basis. Mike and Adam (two of the Torq instructors) are serious cyclists and it's reflected in the quality of the classes. I've walked out of spin classes at Pure (Soho) as I thought the instructor was rubbish. But it depends on your taste in spin classes (I HATE the whole Les Mills choreographed RPM bullsh*t).

I bought some mountain bike cycle shoes in HK from Torq (they order in every so often when there's demand from people who spin there). Don't remember the brand sorry! Loretta or Adam at Torq are always happy to help if you need any advice on shoe fitting. In London I've always used my road bike Shimano shoes and been quite happy with them. But when I moved to HK, I left my bikes (and therefore my shoes) behind in London so decided to buy some when I started spinning on a regular basis as normal trainers aren't comfortable to spin in if you spin a few times a week (assuming you go hard and aren't just doing the spin equivalent of freewheeling downhill).
    Last edited by bibbju; 06-07-2014 at 05:31 AM.

Thanks both for the details. Really appreciate that. I have been told you get the push-and-pull feel better on spin shoes. I spin regularly and normal trainers dont make me feel comfy. That's why I am considering trying. Will check it out and see what I get.

Thanks again for your advice :-)