Olympics on TVB

Closed Thread

Olympics on TVB

One more Olympic thread...

Did anybody else notice the crappy commentary on TVB Pearl? They do not even make an effort to hide the fact that they are clueless in most sports. For example, during the equestrian yesterday it was obvious that all the way to the end they had still not figured out how the scoring works. When it comes to sport like hockey, cycling or fencing they are not able to provide more than general facts from some script. Even football is too difficult for them... possibly because its not EPL!

Was it really so difficult for TVB to find some English speakers who are willing to go to Beijing and actually briefly know what they are doing? I mean they do not have to be an expert in all sports, but everybody who has watched one or two Olympics before knows more. I have started to follow the written live reports on the internet while watching TV.

My wife says that TVB Jade is actually great and they know what they are talking about, even inviting experts for certain sports over. It seems they had no resources left to afford a good English reporter for TVB Pearl as well.

I always get the feeling that they are relying on the same TV stream we are looking at, with no additional insights or background information. They finished the broadcast for today by showing a medal table which was already more than a couple of hours old.

pretty much agree.

oh, how i miss auntie.

the guys doing Eng. comm. on Jade nicam are a little bit better...there's another thread about this already with more ranting

The TVB Pearl commentators have always been bad for any event. It's just looks worse because more people watch the Olympics. Have you guys watched the NBA on TVB Pearl? Mispronounced names, useless/incorrect information, etc. Because they use the same English guy all the time.

I don't think TVB sent the Pearl commentators to Beijing, I think they are watching it at the studio and airing it with a few seconds delay.

The sport experts are good at TVB Jade, but the "analysis" from the "celebrities" is horrible and usually consist of gems such as: "wow, so exciting", "they hit the ball really hard", and "what a good match!".

At every Team USA basketball game the commentators mentioned Carlos Boozer suing Singer Prince for renovating his home....ugh!!!

I couldn't believe the commentary yesterday! It was like ... "well, that is a famous person we are seeing here.... I can't quite remember who they are though" (for an IOC official presenting medals)... and "Somebody did that in the Athens Olympics ... cannot remember who "....(and 5 minutes later) "oh yes, it was actually this same guy!" Quite bizarre.

I could not believe last night when they cut in to dressage right in the middle of the tennis match between Li Na and Venus Williams... The first time it was break point for Li Na and the 2nd time, it was 4-4 in the 2nd set...

Absolutely no chinese in sight in the dressage, how many HK viewers do they think were more interested in that vs seeing how a chinese girl might pull in one of the great upsets of these olympics? Couldn't do a little tape delay on the dressage? They managed to do that quite well for the tennis match...

Outstanding comment that said "If you add the medals of North Korea and South Korea then you get a 14 gold" - lol, lol, lol. Lets add the medals of China and USA to see what we get - idiots.