Olympics coverage on tV - B#$$$Cks

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Mmm ping pong vs rowing in Hong Kong??? I;d say a landslide win for the pongers(unless it's the pingers)
    I was not talking about hong kong, I was talking globally.

i actually find the local coverage decent... i've seen a number of sports that i did not know was actually part of the olympics. like today, they showed the triathalon and handball.

other sports that i have watched so far from the local TV are shooting (trap), fencing, weightlifting, boxing, archery, synchronized swimming, diving, sailing, road cycling, hockey, rowing and of course, the others that were already mentioned here

like basketball, swimming, volleyball, beach volleyball, ping pong, badminton, some athletics events, equestrian, gymnastics and tennis.

they might not have shown the country i was rooting for, but i enjoyed watching the sports events

Spare a thought for me then ... I don't seem to have a terrestrial socket in my flat, so have missed out on the joys of watching via Pearl. I also subscribe to NowTV, so no Olympics there either.

The Olympics is the only time I get to watch my chosen sport (hockey) so I really feel as though I'm missing out this time around. It also doesn't help when the local schedules say Pearl will be showing an event and then it doesn't appear.

There's very few things where the UK compares favourably to Hong Kong, but their Olympic coverage rocks. BBC (who I'm normally pretty critical of) will offer mutliple channels of multiple sports covering a variety of sportd on _all_ platforms: terrestrial analogue, terrestrial digital, digital satellite, and digital cable. Not to mention their website will also host UK streams.

As per a previous thread, I tried signing up for vpntunnel.co.uk and my accounts would be deleted before my PayPal payment got authorised (no idea how that happened). I tried another VPN provider, and the latency was killing any attempt to stream I'll have another go via iPlayer at some point I guess...

Is there no (legal) local web streaming provider?

Quote Originally Posted by timklip:
    but they havn't been playing all week
    And today we had a Chinese rider in a cycling semi-final, but what did we see? Women's baseball, Australia vs Czech Republic.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    And today we had a Chinese rider in a cycling semi-final, but what did we see? Women's baseball, Australia vs Czech Republic.
    How the hell can baseball be an Olympic sport? Even worse is that Softball is an Olympic sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammarite:
    How the hell can baseball be an Olympic sport? Even worse is that Softball is an Olympic sport.
    I should have said basketball, but yes I agree. Beach volleyball would be on my list to scrap, we already have real volleyball. Just keep sports that involve sitting down coz us Brits seem to do well at them . In fact if you just took sports that involve sitting down I think we are top of the medals table.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I should have said basketball, but yes I agree. Beach volleyball would be on my list to scrap, we already have real volleyball. Just keep sports that involve sitting down coz us Brits seem to do well at them . In fact if you just took sports that involve sitting down I think we are top of the medals table.
    No, No, we can't loose beach volleyball!!! I think its a great sport.

Get rid of baseball and softball (oh and synchronised swimming) and bring in squash and 2020 cricket!!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnye:
    Spare a thought for me then ... I don't seem to have a terrestrial socket in my flat, so have missed out on the joys of watching via Pearl. I also subscribe to NowTV, so no Olympics there either.

The Olympics is the only time I get to watch my chosen sport (hockey) so I really feel as though I'm missing out this time around. It also doesn't help when the local schedules say Pearl will be showing an event and then it doesn't appear.

There's very few things where the UK compares favourably to Hong Kong, but their Olympic coverage rocks. BBC (who I'm normally pretty critical of) will offer mutliple channels of multiple sports covering a variety of sportd on _all_ platforms: terrestrial analogue, terrestrial digital, digital satellite, and digital cable. Not to mention their website will also host UK streams.

As per a previous thread, I tried signing up for vpntunnel.co.uk and my accounts would be deleted before my PayPal payment got authorised (no idea how that happened). I tried another VPN provider, and the latency was killing any attempt to stream I'll have another go via iPlayer at some point I guess...

Is there no (legal) local web streaming provider?
    Hey Jonny

There is a way using grease monkey on firefox.

1. Download the addons for for FoxyProxy and GreaseMonkey.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2464
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748
    2. Next we need to configure FoxyProxy to be used in Patterns mode so that when the request to get a particular URL from the BBC is made it is made via the UK Proxy. This URL contains the token to view the video.
    3. From within FireFox select the Tools Menu then FoxProxy menu and then the Options Menu.
    4. Click the Add New Proxy button
    5. In the Proxy Name Field enter BBC iPlayer Proxy
    6. Select the Proxy Details Tab
    7. Select the Manual Proxy Configuration Radio Button
    8. In Hostname and Port enter the Hostname and Port (and select if it is a SOCKS Proxy and version if using SOCKS)
    9. Select the Patterns tab
    10. Click the Add New Pattern button
    11. In the Pattern Name field enter "BBC iPlayer Media Selector Pattern"
    12. In the URL Pattern enter http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/*
    13. Leave the WhiteList and WildCards radio buttons selected
    14. Click the Ok Button
    15. Click the OK Button
    16. Go to http://www.darkedges.com/bbc/iPlayer.user.js
    17. When prompted click the Install button to add the GreaseMonkey Script
    18. Go to BBC iPlayer - Home and select a video to stream
    19. A preview image will show and and a white "Click to play" button should appear and now your should be able to view the video. First the ident appears and then the video, which is not streamed via the proxy.

For step 8, the best place to look is here Great Britain (UK) Open Proxy List
    Last edited by pin; 20-08-2008 at 09:46 AM.

oh dear pearl

Pearl TV were at it again last night ... missed all the live athletics finals showing the semi-final match of Argentina vs Brazil ...

still fair play to the local channels which were showing live coverage so got to see
    Ohuruogu empahtically win the 400metres gold medal .. you go girl!!!

and the commentor on pearl TV showed up his true class once again as they actually showed the 400 metres albeit about 2 hours after the actually event ... dip Sh"t claiming the Amercian had already won one gold medal after 300 metres of the race only to try and save face from his disastrous gaffe by suggesting the Brit had "stolen" the race when she stormed through for gold // ... Idiot!!!

i really think all of these commentators should be sacked immediately following the games...NONE of them have done any homework relating to the sports they are covering, uttering conclusions like you said BEFORE events are finished...another example, mens triathlon, both idiots seemed to focus solely on the front three runners near the end, only occasionally mentioning Whitfield in 4th (who just happened to win the Sydney gold btw!)...he falls 5m back of the front three and suddenly "he's out of it.."...but wait, could it be that runners have a finishing kick?? Whitfield pulls in front from 5m back, ultimately getting silver, but these morons seem totally stunned..lol pathetic