Like Tree6Likes

HELP need advice on cancelling gym contract...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

or alternatively.

find out who is the MD or senior executive, find out their company's email suffix, write to him and pester him every day until they allow some sort of compromise deal, also note, it may take a few attempts in working out the email, if don't bounce, probably correct.

if the boss is really big, they may even cancel your contract to avoid the risk of you forwarding the big shot email to the public domain!

Thanks for all the advice guys!

BTW, to the op, who recommended this boxing gym/muay gym or did you fall for their groupon promotion?

I fell for it like a dumb ass... Completely got sucked into it, they saw me coming! I quickly found out what the deal was as ALFREAD said, So rude and just such a bad time going there that after a few sessions I told them I wanted to leave. The guy who I am speaking to on what's app on of the trainer isn't willing to give me his email. I guess I just have to persevere and threaten. Will I get bad rep for threatening him if I sue him ?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

What does it say on the contract regarding the instalments?

Are you sure the instalments aren't just front loaded onto the credit card?

This instalment payment was a new thing to me when i moved to Hong Kong and although it will show the full amount on your balance, it will only charge the monthly instalment to your statement each month. It means that it basically reaches your credit limit but you don't have pay it all of in one go.

Just checking because it confused me at first.

Just curious, if you felt uncomfortable and was in a rush, why would you sign anything? I'm not saying this is your fault, but surely you should of been aware of the situation and should of said no until you read the full contract.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Check what Trebor said.

Anyway, never a good sign when a place gets someone to make a large pre-payment. Could be the place is in trouble financially.

I'd go down to consumer protection in HK, I think they have a branch in TST.
    If you were forced or made to sign the contract without a chance to read it ( never a good idea when handing over credit card details), make sure you let person at consumer protection know that you were told verbatim that you would be paying in monthly instalments and not having 72K removed from you account.

I would also call up you credit card company immediately and say this is an unauthorised deduction from your account. Hopefully they can get it back for you.

In relation to the owner / manager having your bank account details along with your phone number being annoying. I would suggest you tell him you've contacted consumer protection who will be investigating him/company. They are also going to contact police due to his harassment ( its has to be a bit more than just annoying), and you're also going to seek legal action to being placed in that situation of having to sign under pressure and also not being allowed to read the contract and the contract not meeting the terms you were verbally told.

It is very likely you're not the first person, so you may become part of a investigation against the company. It is almost certain you won't be the last person to fall for this trap.

Hopefully it will work out all ok for you OP.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast