New to working out

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Indeed - but it does significantly reduce the duration of your metabolism.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Indeed - but it does significantly reduce the duration of your metabolism.
    Very true. I can't even take cig smokers seriously anymore. Why would you want to do that to your body?

Let’s not get into this here. The vast majority of us have one vice or another be it drinking too much, eating too much, eating too little even. We’re aware it’s harmful but we do it anyway. Besides, everyone knows smoking makes you look cool.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    Very true. I can't even take cig smokers seriously anymore. Why would you want to do that to your body?

Africans smoke the least and have the shortest life span.
    East Asians are some of the biggest smokers and live the longest life expectancy.
    It's all about a balanced life.

A diet high in beef and sugar is much worse than being a casual-to-mild smoker IMO.

But let's not hi-jack the thread.

Last edited by chimo; 17-09-2008 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chimo:
    Africans smoke the least and have the shortest life span.
    East Asians are some of the biggest smokers and live the longest life expectancy.
    It's all about a balanced life.

A diet high in beef and sugar is much worse than being a casual-to-mild smoker IMO.

But let's not hi-jack the thread.
    That's a ridiculous statement, the reason for short life expectancy of Africans is not because they don't smoke! It is because of factors such as poverty, disease, war etc...

Just as the reason that somebody is obsese is not because they don't work out, but because they consume too many calories.

Quote Originally Posted by limepickle:
    Smoking increases your metabolism FACT-A-RAMA
    pardon my ignorance, but can you show me a scientific peer reviewed journal article that concludes that this is fact, beyond a transient phase?

If by transient you're alluding to the fact that if you stop smoking your metabolism returns to normal (ergo, while you smoke it is 'above'-normal), I'm not disputing that old bean. But I believe that my FACT-O-RAMA still stands.

Nicotine, one of the components of cigarette smoke, increases energy expenditure by stimulating the central nervous system. Once this drug is removed from a person’s system, energy expenditure returns to normal.

How Smoking Affects Metabolism

Quote Originally Posted by dropdedfwed:
    pardon my ignorance, but can you show me a scientific peer reviewed journal article that concludes that this is fact, beyond a transient phase?

Besides, everyone knows smoking makes you look cool.
    I think people who smoke look like twats besides funking up the atmosphere and putting an enormous strain on public healthcare here. It's actually quite upsetting to me when I see people smoke, particularly if they're gorgeous young women or little old biddies.

thanks for the input. I think I must just PERSERVERE. I don't think I am doing anything discernably wrong but I have had thyroid/metabolic problems that I'm just starting to overcome so I mustn't expect miracles. And yes I know 'don't blame the metabolism' but believe me it has been a great impact for me with tiredness and other symptoms that were awful.

If by transient you're alluding to the fact that if you stop smoking your metabolism returns to normal (ergo, while you smoke it is 'above'-normal), I'm not disputing that old bean. But I believe that my FACT-O-RAMA still stands.

Nicotine, one of the components of cigarette smoke, increases energy expenditure by stimulating the central nervous system. Once this drug is removed from a person’s system, energy expenditure returns to normal.

How Smoking Affects Metabolism
    umm, do you know by what magnitude you're talking about? about 200 calories a day if you go from a 1-2 pack a day smoker to cold turkey. increasing the amount you smoke will hardly increase your metabolism. now that, is fact-o-rama.

in case 200 calories means nothing to you, think 6-8 squares of chocolate, 1/3 a big mac...

bit of a price to pay for such a small trade off...