Like Tree1Likes

Where can I hire a bike?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where can I hire a bike?

Hey

I said I'd teach my friend to ride a bike... but I have a bike, so never need to hire one... and no idea where you do in HK.

Anyone know of somewhere?

Was thinking of heading out to Shatin to use the cycle paths between Shatin and Tai Po... there has to be a place to hire a bike out there somewhere...

Thanks for any help

Yes there are several places near Shatin and Tai Po, not too far from the KCR. You can rent at one end and deposit the bike at the other, it's a fairly popular thing to do and not expensive at all. I'm told that it's also being done around Tung Chung but haven't been there yet. I'd avoid Sundays though, the bike traffic is quite high and I've seen many accidents because people don't know how to ride very well.

Thanks, I didn't realise you could hire bikes in Tung Chung, that would be even better, no people on some of the dog legs, or cars.... anyone any ideas where abouts?

For Shatin, there is one rental shop on the riverfront near the arch bridge outside the Shatin Central Park. Then there are more next to the motorway bridge next to Lucky Plaza. I think most do the route to Tai Po where you can return the bike there.

Also there's rental at Tai Shui Hang Station on the Ma On Shan MTR line. It has an empty space if your friend is just starting out.

Thank for the info

There are 4 different shops hiring bikes in Tai Wai right outside the station. Leave at Exit A and go either left or right and shops the other side of the road. Get's busy at weekends though and as mentioned many people have no idea how to ride a bike.

If you decide to head to Lantau:

You can rent bikes in Tung Chung from Sunny, who has a store in Old Yat Tung village, below Yat Tung Estate. He rents them out for $90 a day, I believe.

You can also rent bikes from Friendly Bikes in Mui Wo.

Thank you for that JGL. Are Sunny's bikes any good? I think I need to buy my own bike.

I've not checked out Sunny's rental bikes. Knowing Sunny though, his bikes would be a damn sight better than the dangerous pieces of crap that get hired out around Shatin.

If you're thinking of buying, Sunny doesn't have the widest range of bikes around but he should be fine if you want something simple. If you're looking for high-end 20+k full suspension, you're probably better off looking somewhere with more inventory.

Reopening quite an old thread: what is the going rate for a days bicycle rental typically? Perhaps just a standard mountain bike (nothing too sophisticated).

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast