Fitness first negociation

Hi,

Im trying to negociate the price at fitness first HK Wanchai Hopewell centre.
    what i get now is 698 HKD / month + 400 admin fee.
    I dont need it but they offered me also the access to every clubs in hk.
    Do you think its a good deal?
    Is there a way to get it cheaper?

thanks and regards,
    Nicolas

Have you tried the other gyms?

Having read some horror stories about signing up with gyms in HK, it's the contract you end up signing you have to be really careful about, not what they are verbally promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    Having read some horror stories about signing up with gyms in HK, it's the contract you end up signing you have to be really careful about, not what they are verbally promising.
    Agreed. It is difficult but you should ignore all written and verbal promises, only the contract content counts. Most contracts even carry a clause that specifically excludes all prior written or verbal communication, superseded by the exact content of the contract.

yes read the contract, they will try anything to get you to sign. This is the price I paid when I was there. They love saying it's for all gym in HK etc... but most of the time it's BS.

Also note that you are applying for the Fitness first platinum, and there aren't many around, so take that into consideration. If I remember their contract is set for 2 Years, which you can then terminate with a one month notice. Overall the gym is good, not too crowded (especially during weekend it's perfect), the staff don't bug you too much. I've had to terminate mine since I moved out but nothing special to complain about. Just read the contract like other people say. I think you can also invite someone for free during the weekend, so that's nice to have.

By the stories told on this forum, it's Physical and California that you have to be really careful about. Fitness First seems to be okay- they don't seem to engage in high pressure sales tactics.

I do wonder what the difference between a normal FF gym and a 'Platinum' version is though. Anyone know?

Maybe platinum is all clubs?

I'll be considering FF when my Pure membership runs out. I joined Pure mainly because of the IFC location. Didn't realise FF was in Exchange Square - pretty much in the same place!

I noticed the TST branch is in the Sheraton. Does it include the swimming pool?

Platinum are their higher end, slightly more swanky clubs. Usually in "premium" locations and/or very new larger clubs.

Seem to remember that FF offer a 12 month contract (more sensible than Pure's 24 months).

Exchange Sq is small but decent. Packed on weekdays between 12 and 2pm but if you can go outside these times, it's quite pleasant. At 2.15pm it's like a morgue! I very much enjoyed their Body Pump class but found it hard not to get distracted by the amazing harbour view from the studio.

They were also very pleasant and helpful when I went in to cancel my membership. Very straightforward and surprisingly pleasant.

Edit: Just to add that I thought the Quarry Bay FF sucked. Rude, unfriendly staff, very basic changing rooms, just generally a bit meh. Exchange Square is like a different FF altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Last edited by bibbju; 02-01-2015 at 09:01 PM.

FF QB changing rooms are definitely meh, and I don't use them (shower at home). But I find the gym and staff okay. I mean, the only interaction I have with staff is to get towel and locker key anyway and they seem friendly enough with that. The equipment is okay, but skewed heavily towards machines and cardio equipment, pretty limited on the free weights side of things.

Didn't realise there was an Exchange Square branch. There was another gym based in Exchange 1 or 2 back in the 90s, I wonder if it's the same premises.

Last edited by jgl; 02-01-2015 at 10:02 PM.